Saturday, September 24, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games

Book: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Release Date: December 14, 2009
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Pages: 374
Source: purchased from Chapters
Stars: 5/5
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


(summary taken from Goodreads
MY THOUGHTS:

READ THIS BOOK.

I'm SO tempted to leave my review as that single sentence, because that basically sums up the gist of my thoughts without getting into the gushing "this book is so amazing that I can't even find words for it" part! But I decided you guys deserve more than that. Just be forewarned: major gushing ahead.  

The Hunger Games has to be one of the best books in history! Definitely a favourite of mine! It's interesting and deep and romantic and original and realistic and I could use up all the positive adjectives in the world and it still wouldn't be enough!

EVERYTHING about this book is amazing! Katniss is one of my favourite heroines; the side characters are all great; the romance is perfectly done; the action is heart-pounding; the premise is unforgettable; and the complex plot always keeps me on the edge of my seat sometimes in tears and most times without breathing!

I seriously can't believe that I ever had a doubt before reading this book. The cover didn't really catch my eye and the synopsis sounded strange when I first saw it, but now I want to buy a copy for every person in the world just so they'll read it! It's THAT good. 

So the verdict? Read this book. Love this book. And get ready to have The Hunger Games always lingering in the back of your mind, because that's what it's like for me! :)

BUY or BORROW?: Has there ever been a more pointless question??? Buy it for sure! I've already read this book more times than I can keep track, and it still gets to me every single time!

-Mimi

14 comments:

  1. It IS one of the best books in history! I can't wait for the movie to come out! Glad you enjoyed it (really, has anyone not?).

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book :) It's definitely on my top 5 books list. I think I could probably reread this one a million times. I'm so excited for the movie in March :) I'm glad you finally read it! It's definitely fantastic! Have you read Blood Red Road yet? Or Divergent? They're kind of in the same zone as Hunger Games, so you should check them out :) Don't forget to read Catching Fire and Mockingjay too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I love the Hunger Games. I'm not that into dystopian in general, but this book captured me. It's also the book that got my younger brother to read YA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great review! I totally agree with you. I was very hesitant to pick up The Hunger Games but finally grabbed it in July. Why do I always do that with series I end up loving? (I did it with Harry Potter, too.)

    Since then, my brother and my boyfriend have both read the books. (My brother actually bought me Catching Fire and Mockingjay because he said I was taking too long to get to the bookstore and get them.) This is great because neither of them read a ton and neither of them complained about the romantic aspect of the book, even though it is so central to the story.

    Next readers on the list are my mom and my aunt. And I think we already have six people ready to go and see the movie. (As with all things books, my dad will wait for it in movie form. That's just the way it is.)

    Only one question remains... Team Gale or Team Peeta? :D Yes, I am that sappy. Glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! :) I really enjoyed this book as well. I was on the late train to join the hype, but who cares? All of us fans ended up in the same place! :)

    I got my dad to read this book too and he was mind blown! :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have read this book without blogger pressure. The cover is kind of boring (black?) and the description sounds so gruesome. And then I actually read it and had basically the same feelings as you-so yay for spreading The Hunger Games love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with bookworm. I didn't want to start this series because the descriptions sounded so horrible with all the characters dying left, right and center but luckily with all the hype I just HAD to see what it was about. Now it's easily my favourite series and I do a little dance every time someone else enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, yay, I'm so glad you liked this one! The Hunger Games series is one of my absolute favorites :D Haha, and I definitely think your first sentence of your review pretty much sums it all up too! Great review Mimi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've felt the same about the cover - it doesn't seem exactly like something I'd read or like, but I've heard so many great things about it that I think I have to! I'll definitely be picking it up soon, Mimi! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah this book ! I've heard so much about it, but don't read it yet. Great review, thanks ! I think I will have to buy it soon !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay seriously, I adore this book:) I could have died in Peeta's interview before the games when he said "she's here with me". *DIES* So glad you loved it Mimi, it's one I can read over and over again:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I very much agree with you! This is one of the best books ever written!

    http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll never forget the first time I read this book and ugly face cried! My little cousin is reading it now in school and I'm so happy about that.

    Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I completely agree in so many ways! Loved this book, Check out some more of my thoughts on the books at amandarosetew.blogspot.com!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!