Monday, September 26, 2011

Review: Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories

Book: Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories
Editors:
Contributors:
Release Date: September 1, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 354
Source: won from publisher
Stars: 5/5
You are not alone.

Discover how Lauren Kate transformed the feeling of that one mean girl getting under her skin into her first novel, how Lauren Oliver learned to celebrate ambiguity in her classmates and in herself, and how R.L. Stine turned being the “funny guy” into the best defense against the bullies in his class. 

Today’s top authors for teens come together to share their stories about bullying—as silent observers on the sidelines of high school, as victims, and as perpetrators—in a collection at turns moving and self-effacing, but always deeply personal.

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:

If there's one thing in the world I feel strongly against, it's bullying. I hate that there are wars and hunger and conflicts and stereotypes, yet I know that some of those things are inevitable. But bullying? I really, truly, honestly believe that there isn't ANY reason why bullying should happen! 

Dear Bully is a collection of stories from 70 authors who have either been bullied, a bully, or a bystander. And they're all so powerful in their own way it blows my mind away how much these authors have been through! Some of the stories literally made me want to cry.  

I'm usually not a big fan of anthologies, but I loved everything about Dear Bully! It was heart-breaking and moving and powerful. Each and every one of the stories made me think. I can't even pick a favourite because there are so many that just stuck with me.

Whether you have experienced bullying or have been a bully or are even faintly aware of this HUGE issue, you should definitely pick up Dear Bully! I'm so glad that so many of these authors are putting their heartbreaking stories out there to bring awareness to this!

BUY or BORROW?: This is definitely a book you have to buy! Plus, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to Stomp Out Bullying, which I think is just amazing! :) 

-Mimi

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, Mimi! I definitely want to read this. I totally agree. I can understand a lot of things, but bullying is not one of them. How could intentionally want to hurt someone??? Really... It's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this. I feel like bullying is much more of an issue these days. This one is on my wish list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never heard of this one but it's definitely going on the list now. Bullying is something I have zero tolerance for, so I'm looking forward to seeing how all of these authors' experiences affected their lives. Thanks Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! Thanks for reminding me about this one, Mimi. I been wanting to get it for my little cousins since bullying has become such a major problem in school.

    I think it is remarkable that so many authors have shared their personal stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book was on my wishlist this week :) I'm dying to get my hands on it, and once I finish one more book on my shelf I'm going out to buy it! I have to agree with you, I'm not a big fan of anthologies, but in my work to become a teacher I've learned so much about bullying and the growing number of teens committing suicide due to bullying I just have to have this one :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when authors get together for something as worthwhile as this. Bullying is such a tragic issue. Sometimes I think people who bully must have no idea how much they are destroying another person. Great review. I look forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fantastic! Thanks for posting, I'll be adding this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bully is on my Christmas list for this year! I have heard so many great, amazing things about this anthology. The whole idea of all those fantastic YA authors coming together to tell their own stories of being bullied is both saddening and perfect, especially to those people who have or are being bullied.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!