Sunday, September 11, 2011

Review: Half-Blood

Book: Half-Blood
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: October 18, 2011
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 281
Source: ARC (Thank you so much, SHP!) 
Stars: 5/5
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.
Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. 

And that would kind of suck.

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

Oh my gods, I can't even tell you how much I love this book! 

After reading and loving the prequel novella, Daimon (you can read my review here or download it for free here), I was so excited to get my hands on an ARC of Half-Blood and it surpasses every high expectation I had! It's everything you could ever want in an awesome novel: a breathtaking plot, an amazingly original premise, and Aiden St. Delphi.   

(Am I swooning? I feel like I'm swooning.) 

Alex has to be one of my favourite heroines ever. As a totally kick-ass and hilarious half-blood, she's the kind of girl you definitely want on your side at all times. But even with all the complications of the Covenant and the action-packed plot, Jennifer L. Armentrout writes her in a way that makes her so easy to connect with. I adored how strong Alex was, but she was also vulnerable and real.  

Completely entertaining and utterly compelling, Half-Blood has definitely earned its place high up on my favourites list! Even if you're not a fan of Greek Mythology, I recommend this book wholeheartedly. It's the kind of book you want to go back and read again immediately.

BUY or BORROW?: Do you even have to ask? Buy it! I'm definitely going out to get my hands on a finished copy as soon as it comes out! It's that good! :)

-Mimi

13 comments:

  1. Great review!!! I am dying to read this:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I've been hearing a lot of others say that they've loved this too. I'm a big fan of Greek mythology, so I definitely want to read this! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://deadtreesandsilverscreens.blogspot.com/

    Now I have to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, everyone I know loves this book! I so want to read it :) Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more! Love Love Love this book. Nice review.

    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is it possible that I'm even more excited for this book than I was before??? Crazy awesome review, Mimi! October is waaay too far away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVED this book as well!! I cannot wait for the sequel!! I am DYING FOR IT. AIDEN all the way <333 My review goes up tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing your post about this book and adoring the cover so I'm glad to hear that the inside is as good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the review. I read the prequel and I am dying to read Half Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, I want to read this so much! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen nothing but great reviews for this book! Glad that you liked it. Will have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always loved books that incorporate Greek mythology, so this one sounds fantastic to me! Plus, who doesn't love a book with half-bloods ;) Absolutely glowing review Mimi, and I can't wait to read the prequel novella now as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alex has always had a crush on Aiden, but it's forbidden by the Gods for Pures and Half-Bloods to be together. If caught Aiden will get a slap on the wrist, but Alex will end up in servitude. Which still might happen, if she doesn't prove she belongs at the Covenant. Alex is simultaneously strong and vulnerable with attitude. She continually bends the rules to their limit and isn't afraid to speak her mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!