Thursday, September 29, 2011

Review: Devoured

Book: Devoured
Author: Amanda Marrone
Release Date: September 22, 2009
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 306
Source: borrowed from Lexie
Stars: 4/5
Megan’s twin sister Remy died in an accident nine years ago, and she’s been haunting her ever since. Knowing how crazy that sounds, Megan keeps this secret to herself and tries to lead a normal life.
But when she takes a summer job at Land of Enchantment to keep an eye on her new boyfriend and his lovesick best friend, Samantha, she meets fellow employee Luke who can see Remy, too. Things get even twistier because Megan’s new friend Ari is sporting a massive crush on Luke, who seems to be developing a massive crush on Megan…making for a love triangle that’s positively possessed.

Megan wants to keep her distance from Luke, but when Remy’s visions get crazy violent; she knows she needs his help. Because someone’s definitely in danger...the only question is who?
(summary taken from Goodreads)  
MY THOUGHTS:

Three words to describe this book? Dark, fairytale-esque, and yet unfairytale-esque at the exact same time! 

Devoured put an edgy and unique twist on the fairytale, Snow White (which I love), and I enjoyed it so much more than I expected to! I'm actually a huge fan of fairy tails and such. I'll admit that this was a little strange at first, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down!

I just adored the characters in this book. Megan was the perfect heroine, Luke was the perfect guy, and Remy was the perfect ghostly twin sister. I couldn't think up a more fitting cast for this story! The way Amanda Marrone crafted the mystery aspect of the plot was fantastic, and I was on the edge of my seat for several scenes.

Fun yet creepy, light yet dark Devoured was a roller coaster ride that was full of contradictions! It gave me chills in some parts and butterflies in others. Part fairytale, part suspenseful mystery, and part super-sweet romance, this is a book you should definitely put on your radar! :) 

BUY or BORROW?: If you love fairytales and their counterparts, you should definitely add this one to your collection!

-Mimi

12 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before. I think I would really like this one. Isn't the cover beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairy tales with a twist, thank you for the review! THe cover is absolutely gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I'm not a fan of love triangles, the Snow White twist sounds wicked awesome. LOL

    Thanks for letting me know about this one. Hadn't heard of it before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Fun yet creepy, light yet dark"

    Hm. I like the combination of elements in this one, sounds like it has a little bit of everything! That cover is really pretty as well, love all the blues with the simple green apple:) Might have to add this one to the list, thanks Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The synopsis kind of confused me with the many people mentioned but I didn't know about the fairy tale aspect of this book. I love retold fairy tales even if Snow White isn't my favorite. I'm glad to know more about this book and I think I'll give it a try if I come across it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books you can't help but adore! And a roller coaster fairytale with romance at that? I definitely like the sound of this one! I can't even recall having read anything about this one before... But it definitely has my interest now! As always; great review!

    Rebecca
    Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  7. My gripe about the Snow White story (at least the Disney version, lol!) was that you didn't see enough of the prince! My favorite part was always the dwarfs, I wonder how/if that translated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's always difficult to adapt a fairy tale, so it's a really good news that it wasn't the case in this one. I really love Snow White too so it sounds interesting ! I really like the cover with the color

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cover, and great review! This sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been eyeing this one for awhile, and really want to read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds really interesting!

    New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great review Mimi! I haven't heard of this book but will definitely be adding it to my TBR pile.

    Sharon @ Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!