Monday, August 29, 2011

Review: Vampire Academy

Book: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: August 16, 2007
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 332
Source: KPL
Stars: 4.5/5
St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger.... 

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.


(summary taken from Goodreads
MY THOUGHTS:  

WOW! Even with all the vampire books out there right now, Vampire Academy is definitely one of the more impressive favourites! I just love it so much more than I thought I would. It's original and complicated in that I-want-to-know-more sort of way.  

Everything about this book entertains. From the clever writing style, to the snarky heroine, to the fast-paced plot, I couldn't stop reading until it was done! It doesn't end on a cliffhanger (yay!), but that doesn't lessen your urge to immediately pick up the next book at all. 

Rose deserves every praise anyone has ever given her! She's smart, bad-ass, straightforward, and fiercely protective of those she cares about. I admire her through-and-through! And I love her entire relationship with Dimitri, partly because I have a huge thing for guys with accents and partly because forbidden romance has never looked so good. 

This entire book is an action-packed ride that surprises you at every turn! I recommend it to everyone wholeheartedly, whether you like vampires or not (because you probably will, after reading this). Vampire Academy is an awesome first book to a bound-to-be breathtaking series! 

BUY or BORROW?: Buy this one to start your VA collection! It's so good! :) 

-Mimi 

P.S. In case you were wondering, I only docked half a star because I loved Christian and Rose wasn't very nice to him. That is all.

9 comments:

  1. I really like boarding school novels but I just don't like vampires enough, I think. Well-written action and exciting romance do sound good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoided this series like the plague thinking it was just another silly boarding school with vampires story. But oh man, was I ever more wrong! It all worked well in the end, because by the time I read it, the series was complete! I spend a whole week holed up in my room just to finish it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book for so long! Great review.


    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always avoided this...Vampire Academy! It sounded like a cheap copy of another vampire novel! So glad to know it is good to read...hope to pick it up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got the entire series myself to read, but I haven't had the time to do so yet, sadly! I really can't wait; I keep hearing amazing things about it, so by now I'm super curious. Sucks she wasn't too nice to Christian! Not that I know him, but he sounds like someone lovable. Lol! Great review. :)

    Rebecca
    Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I swear you read my mind with what books you review. Just this weekend I was talking with some people about if Vampire Academy was any good, but none of them had read it. So thanks for the review--I'm def going to add this book to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I have heard so many great things about this series, that I'm wondering why I haven't read the book yet. I really need to get a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when other readers discover this series and like it :) I've been trying to push this series (plus The Hunger Games) on anyone I can find! And oh Dimitri. I call dibs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha Mimi :D :D Christian is funny :D And my Rose is just badass :D This serie I think will be forever my favourite one :) <3 <3 I just love Rose Hathaway and her temperament and her no impulse control :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!