Sunday, August 21, 2011

Review: Uncommon Criminals

Book: Uncommon Criminals
Author: Ally Carter
Release Date: October 25, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Pages: 386
Source: KPL
Stars: 5/5
Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life life. Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners.

There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long, and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous and that is simply… the emerald is cursed.

Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend—the gorgeous Hale—and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses, realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time.

Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.


(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

I seriously love all of Ally Carter's books, and Uncommon Criminals is no exception!  

One thing I adore about this series is that you don't have to read one book to understand the others although it's way more fun if you pick up the first book, Heist Society (read my review here), anyways! Uncommon Criminals carries its own fast-paced plot yet reflects on the first in a super fun way.  

The cast in this novel is one of my favourites. Each of these genius, con artist teenagers are clever, fun, and hilariously witty. Kat, our awesome heroine, continues to amaze me with her solutions to tough situations that I never would have thought of. I just adore her because she's not like any other thief in her family Kat only steals to return things to others. Sort of like Robin Hood. 

And the two hot thieves pining for her constantly make me smile (and swoon)!  

Although a little hard to get into at first, Uncommon Criminals was a blast to read! It was engaging and nicely executed, with lovable characters and another excellent heist-driven plot that kept me guessing to the very end. I couldn't put it down!  

BUY or BORROW?: This is definitely a series you need on your shelf! Pure, clever fun!

-Mimi

6 comments:

  1. It took me a while to get into this too but then I flew through it (I'm such a Hale fangirl!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this! I totally felt the same way :) I'm sad cause mine was a library copy so I'll have to go run out and buy it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you don't have to read Heist Society to understand what's happening in this book. So often you have to read one book in order to understand the next. Uncommon Criminals sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this book before, but your review was great! I'm definitely going to pick it up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously just bought this book today after finishing Heist Society yesterday and loving it way more than is probably healthy. I'm glad this book is great too. I'm SO looking forward to starting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I loved this book! Glad you did too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!