Saturday, August 06, 2011

Review: Between Here and Forever

Book: Between Here and Forever
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 250
Source: KPL
Stars: 3/5
Abby accepted that she can’t measure up to her beautiful, magnetic sister Tess a long time ago, and knows exactly what she is: Second best. Invisible.

Until the accident.

Now Tess is in a coma, and Abby’s life is on hold. It may have been hard living with Tess, but it's nothing compared to living without her.

She's got a plan to bring Tess back though, involving the gorgeous and mysterious Eli, but then Abby learns something about Tess, something that was always there, but that she’d never seen.

Abby is about to find out that truth isn't always what you think it is, and that life holds more than she ever thought it could...
(summary taken from Goodreads
MY THOUGHTS:  

Between Here and Forever was another book on my long list of contemporary novels to read. And I'm so happy that it was! Even though I'm a bigger fan of the supernatural, I can't help but have a soft spot for sweet stories like this.

Believe it or not, this was the very first Elizabeth Scott novel I've read, but it definitely won't be my last! She has such a beautiful way of writing and creates the most lovable and realistic characters.

I had mixed feelings about Abby. Part of me corresponded with what Eli who I absolutely adored said about her being so strong and straightforward and sad. But the other part of me was always frustrated whenever Abby dismissed any compliments and kept thinking of herself as "not Tess." She had no confidence in herself at all. I was ecstatic to finally see a spark in her Anti-Abby parade.

Both heartbreaking and heartwarming, Between Here and Forever was simple yet touching, with a sweet romance between a focused sister and a seemingly perfect guy. A beautiful summer read! 

BUY or BORROW?: If you love original contemporary novels, Between Here and Forever would be a perfect edition to your collection! :) Isn't the cover just gorgeous?

-Mimi

6 comments:

  1. I thought this was pretty good as well! Abby did get on my nerves...but Eli was adorable!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't like this as much as other Scott books but there were some good moments and I thought it was absolutely beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many book out now about girls who have sisters that they look up to/feel overshadowed by. I have to admit I haven't read any of them. Sounds like an interesting one though and Eli seems like a sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cover! It is indeed beautiful. ;)
    Im not a fan of these stories, but this one sounds really nice. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahh, it was my first Elizabeth Scott too, but I didn't like it much. Then I read Perfect You and it was a total disaster. I guess, I really really don't like reading about poor non-self-confident chicks. No, actually I hate it. I like the strong, badass female characters :) :P So, I think Elizabeth Scott isn't for me :P I prefer Sarah Dessen waaaaaaaaaay more :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a lot like Abby growing up, never having any confidence in myself. For example if someone waved to me I'd always look behind myself to see who they were waving at. If you read this book and you suffer from low self esteem, you will relate to Abby, if not, then she will be a bit frustrating.

    Great review, I really enjoy Elizabeth Scott's writing style.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!