Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review: Firelight

Book: Firelight
Author: Sophie Jordan
Release Date: September 7, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 323
Source: won from publisher in a writing contest
Stars: 4/5
A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.

Doomed love. 
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form. 

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

(summary taken from Goodreads
MY THOUGHTS:  

After reading about vampires, werewolves, faeries, and angels, I was thrilled that Firelight revolved around a totally different kind of mythical creature: dragons. And boy, I wasn't disappointed!

Everything about the draki is so cool, especially that they can transform into human form. Even though Jacinda and her family escape from their pride (draki community) early on, Sophie Jordan does an awesome job with sucking you into the whole descendant-of-dragons thing, making you want to know much, much more! 

I adore Jacinda. She's tough, determined, and a much better person than her twin sister (who I do not like). Even when she's forced to move away from her pride, she doesn't give up on trying to keep her draki alive. And the attraction between Jacinda and Will (the very hot, very surprising draki hunter made of awesomeness) literally sends sparks flying off the page!

Overall, Firelight is an exhilarating and refreshing novel that had me hooked from page one. Sophie Jordan's quick and effortless writing style, added to the fast-moving plot, makes it incredibly easy to fly through in a night. I'm definitely picking up the next book, Vanish, when it comes out in September!  

BUY or BORROW?: Buy this one for sure! The gorgeous cover (which is so pretty with the scales around the eye) and original plot (which is just an amazing thing on its own) make this a novel you absolutely want on your bookshelf! 

-Mimi

7 comments:

  1. I love that this is about dragons! I haven't read it yet, but I certainly will! Great review (:

    And yes, I love being a teenager. Thanks for the amazing comment! My parents don't want to send something to strangers because it would have my address on it /: but I'm in no hurry to grow up!

    Thanks for everything, your comment just brightened my day.
    Magic is in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one as well!! The Draki were a really cool aspect! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reaaaaaally tried to like this book. Dragons? Yes! I love the idea. I just couldn't get into it sadly. Maybe I will try it again one day and think differently. I am glad other people liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this sitting on my kindle and I haven't gotten around to reading it - now I really want to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Will is so hot! Even when Jacinda was a bit annoying and the story dragged, I was totally in love with him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, awesome. I didn't know these books were about dragon descendents. I may have to read these now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dragons! :D I am not very fond of them but reading about the awesomeness of Will - well, I think I cant resist for long!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!