Thursday, August 04, 2011

Review: Spellbound

Book: Spellbound 
Author: Cara Lynn Shultz 
Release Date: June 28, 2011 
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Pages: 324 
Source: received for review (thank you, Harlequin!!) 
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own. No amount of payment was given for a positive review.
Stars: 4/5
What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

Spellbound wasn't at all what I expected from the synopsis, but not in a bad way! It was a fun yet serious read, all wrapped into one detailed package that I couldn't stop reading from the moment I opened it up.

With romance as its main focus, the relationship between Emma and Brendan was absolutely adorable. Some of the things he did for her made me want to swoon off my feet! Bad boy sweetheart? I loved him! The fact that they were both such likable characters also helped to make reading this novel so much fun. 

The whole supernatural aspect of this novel wasn't as prominent as I thought it would be, but it was woven into the story perfectly. I'm usually not the biggest fan of love-at-first-sight type scenarios unless executed in a non-cheesy way, but Cara Lynn Shultz managed to explain it well in Spellbound!

Although very predictable at times, the plot was easy to follow and always entertaining. I loved following the things that Emma did because she was such an awesome girl smart, witty, hilariously fun and I was rooting for her even when I could tell something bad was going to happen.

As indulging as it was filling, Spellbound was an awesome debut novel by an author that I'm excited to read more from! 

BUY or BORROW?: I wouldn't mind having this book on my shelf! ;)

-Mimi

2 comments:

  1. I thought the instalove was handled pretty well too although I'll admit that I thought her meeting Brendan meant that he would be the one to kill her instead of them being wrapped up in a centuries old reincarnation spell/curse/thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, just stopping by to see whatcha got for me to review. just from your review its looking like a 2/5 on my list. happy reading

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!