Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Book: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 452
Source: bought from Chapters
Stars: 5/5
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

WOW! Since finishing this book left my mind feeling like a huge puddle, I borrowed this picture from Michelle Hodkin's awesome blog which basically sums up what I'm thinking: 


OMG because oh my gosh, this book was freaking amazing! And WTF because what just happened, there are ALLIGATORS??  

It's no exaggeration when I say that The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer has been one of my most anticipated reads of the year, and it doesn't disappoint! It's dark and creepy and thrilling and breathtaking and undoubtedly the kind of book that prompts incoherent reviews like this one. 

Mara is the perfect heroine for this novel! She's snarky, fun, and realistic in every way (except for the whole supernatural aspect, of course). And her brothers, her best friend Jamie, and Noah (the hot, bad-ass, and sweet love interest) just complete the amazing cast.  

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a book you don't want to miss. It's unlike anything you've ever read before a chilling mystery, swoon-worthy romance, and supernatural surprise all wrapped in one! Just when you think you know what's going to happen, Michelle Hodkins throws up a wall and you're back to square one. She frustrates you, makes you swoon, and keeps you holding your breath.   

And I love it!  

BUY or BORROW?: Buy it for sure! It's the kind of book you just have to pick up again immediately after! 

-Mimi

16 comments:

  1. Ooh I'm so excited!! I'm starting this one tonight and I've been waiting forever!! So happy when I read another great review for it. :D

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one. I'm trying to be patient, but I really want to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a third of the way though - there are some things that bother me about the book, but I'm addicted, I have to find out what's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alligators?

    ...definitely reading this book, hahaha, I HAVE to know wtf alligators have to do with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The buzz around this one has made me so excited! I hope it can live up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh? Alligators? Like as a metaphor? LOL

    I'm still not sure if this one is for me. I've been reading all types of reviews for it and it seems people either love it or hate it. Hmmm..

    But glad to hear you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get this one, Mimi! EVERYONE says it rocks... but I need it! lol.

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooo love that picture! That sums up my feelings exactly! I adored this book, it was so out in left field and strange and completely bizarre but I loved every second of it. I could never quite figure out what was going on and that drove me crazy in the best possible way. So glad you loved it too Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeeeep Mara Dyer is in my mail!!!! SO EXCITEDD!!!! :))) I'm glad to hear you liked it just as much as everyone else! This makes me want to read it RIGHT NOW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so great thing about this one , you really make me want to read it ! Awesome review ! It sounds sooo good !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the third time I read the mention of this book today. Looks like it is a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is also one of my highly anticipated reads this year. I'm glad to see that you loved it so much! Now I think I'm even more excited to read it!

    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds great... can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm soooo jealous you've got this one and actually read it! My copy is arriving late and I'm dying to get to it. o: Seriously! It looks so amazingly good. Awesome review! You teased me even more if possible. I want it nooow! (Yes, I'm desperate. *nods*)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mimi I must say it. I've spent the WHOLE night and morning reading this book until I was finished. Bloody Hell, did I get the ending!! Aaaaaaa. Nea confused. But in the begining the chemistry between them? OMG hilarious!! I loved it!! But the last 100 pages were, well, confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh she's coming out with a second one now!!! I'm so excited because what the heck was up with you know who at the end?!?!?!?! Ughhhhhhh the anticipation is KILLING me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!