Saturday, October 22, 2011

Review: Shiver

Book: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Pages: 400
Source: KPL
Stars: 5/5
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can’t seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It’s her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever. 

(summary taken from Goodreads
MY THOUGHTS: 

WOW. Wow, wow, wow. Why did I ever wait so long to pick up this book? I've heard so many mixed things about it that I was kind of scared at first but then I started Shiver just before I went to bed and I couldn't put it down!

Not everyone can pull off writing a book from two alternating first person narratives, but Maggie Stiefvater definitely can! Her writing was so perfect and fitting for the story. I felt like I was right inside the book, surrounded by endless forests, lonely cold winters, and a town full of werewolves that were so different than what I was used to.

For two characters who had such generic names, Sam and Grace were absolutely amazing! I ADORED Grace with her strength, determination, and heart of gold. And Sam, who had to live with the infection that made him turn into a wolf every winter, was so heartbreakingly real and good that I wanted to cry every time he was in pain. I swear almost did!

But it wasn't just the awesome cast (with so many other great characters!) that made this book so good. It was the twisting plot, the oh-so-original werewolf lore, and the moments that stole my breath away! I could not put this one down for the life of me!

Beautiful and lyrical and 100% enchanting, Shiver was a book that surprised me immensely in all the right ways! I would definitely recommend this book, and I'm SO excited to read the next book in the series! :)

BUY or BORROW?: Definitely a book you want on your shelf! It's such a powerful read!

-Mimi

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed Shiver i read it about a year ago and i absolutely loved it too =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed Shiver. I personally prefer the sequel Linger. You are right, the writing is very powerful. Grace is definitely one of my fav characters.Great review!

    Enter my international giveaway for EVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured i'd write my response to your comment on here in case you didn't come back to see it.

    I actually just finished reading The Iron King and i'm about to post my review in a few minutes if you want to come check it out. Also i'd love to hear your recommendations you could leave a comment with them or email me if you feel like it at paigebradish@yahoo.com Thanks so much for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I love Shiver! Grace wasn't my favorite, I thought she was a bit pissy with Sam at times, but I LOVED Sam. And I agree, Stiefvater writing is magic!

    So glad you enjoyed. I still haven't read Linger or Forever. I'm afraid I won't like them as much because of the reviews I've read, but I will eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome I really enjoyed this too and after reading so many bad reviews I thought I was the only one who did :S I really loved both characters as well the dual POV really rocked in this series. I hope you like the rest. I did, though I found it ended to openly.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I confess it's not a series I plan to read. I didn't know why it didn't sounds like a book for me. Maybe I was wrong. On the contrary I've read her other series, it was really nice too

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never going to read this series until Lindsay talked me into it on Twitter one day... I have the first and last book, but not the second- and still haven't read any of them!! I do plan on it though!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear SO many wonderful things about this author, that I'm dying to read this series and The Scorpio Races! Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in love with this book! The whole series was amazing, but this book really stands out! Maggie really knows how to set the mood and atmosphere! I love her! And Sam! <333

    Great review!

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you finally read Shiver ;) Hopefully you can dive into Linger (which I thought was even better as it added two really intriguing narrators) and Forever soon too!

    I think your review really captured the power of Stiefvater's writing, an aspect that is sometimes lacking in YA writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes I feel like the only one who hasn't read a particular book. I'm glad you liked this one, Mimi! I'll have to read it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness I can't believe you waited this long to pick up this book! :) I'm soo glad you enjoyed it.
    -Magic is in Words

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited that you loved this! It's probably my favorite YA book ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mimiiiiiiii <3
    thanks for stopping by! you have to read Hourglass! it's a great read! I loved it a lot! I think I gave it a 4 or 5 stars in good read. =D

    Btw, Beautiful and lyrical is The Scorpio Races too!! you have to read that one as well! OMG! I loved it soooo much! so touching!! so human!
    ^__^

    take care! muah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I love Maggie's writing :). I didn't love this one as much as some of her other novels tho. I think I should reread this one just to see again tho.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!