Thursday, October 20, 2011

Review: Die For Me

Book: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Release Date: May 10, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 341
Source: KPL
Stars: 3.5/5
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.


(summary taken from Goodreads
MY THOUGHTS:  

People have been recommending this book to me for forever, and I finally thought I'd listen! The whole idea of revenants undead beings (who are not zombies!) with the irresistible compulsion to sacrifice their lives to save others was definitely intriguing. 

And Amy Plum hit the mark with creating her world! The characters were so beautifully crafted that I found myself adoring every single revenant we were introduced to, especially Charlotte and Jules. Our heroine, Kate, was so intelligent and sweet that I completely loved her at first.  

But even though Kate and Vincent were great characters on their own, I just couldn't love them as a couple. It was too much insta-love without reason, too much talking about loving each other without showing, and too much not being able to function properly when apart which I found really silly at times! I usually don't mind love-at-first-sight sorts of romances, but to me, this one felt forced

Still, with all of that aside, Die For Me was a pretty awesome debut! Original premise, great characters, and the beautiful Paris setting... It was enjoyable to read and the pacing made it easy to get lost in. I'm excited to see where the rest of the series is going! :)

BUY or BORROW?: I borrowed this book, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy it! If you're into sweet and original novels, Die For Me is the perfect book for your shelf!

-Mimi

18 comments:

  1. I really liked this book, and can't wait to read more from the author. :) I agree about the character building, they were all really great. I love Jules and Ambrose! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one sitting on my shelf and I really need to get to it haha. Based on your review it definitely sounds like something I'll like! Great review Mimi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was originally planning to read this but after hearing about the insta-love, I was turned off. Glad to hear that I wasn't steered wrong; I would have hated this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one. I love the cover! It's on my wish list, I'm hoping to read it soon. Great review!

    I really enjoy good character building. I'm happy to read that it was well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sad you couldnt love them as a couple. In my case, I love them! I love this book and, for me, is one of the best paranormal romances in ya this year XDD.

    Thanks for sharing and Im glad you are looking forward for the next one =)

    dazzlingreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice review and ofcourse, I loved the cover page! I like sweet paranormal romance and this book sounds really on the money! Guess I should pick up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh... I didn't read it yet ! I really need too ! I think it sometimes difficult to read a book when everyone says a lot good things about it. I'm sorry the couple didn't work for you, maybe it will be better in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really intrigued by this one it's been on my TBR list for such a long time I should really get to it. I'm glad you enjoyed it regardless of the insta-love. The cover is gorgeous as well! Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I totally know how you feel! I detest insta-love. I NEED relationship building and all that good stuff ;D

    Great review, Mimi, like always :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. i sires i loved was James Paterson's maximum ride! it was intriguing and vivid. you should at least check out the first 6. after that it really goes down hill... at lest look in to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm fairly tired of insta-love myself... But I'm dying to read this one and I've had it sitting on my shelf FOREVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ack! Insta-love! *sigh* Still, the revenants sound really interesting, and quite unique. Good review! I'll definitely check my library for this book...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, instalove! I have this one checked out from the library right now - I haven't read it yet! I love the cover and the story sounds really interesting.

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review! I'm glad you were honest about it. See, I LOVED this book. So much. And i'm a HUGE JULES fan. I think he is just so sexy haah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your reviews do a great job of telling me exactly want I need to know. "too much insta-love without reason"

    Yeah, not for me. And I was so confused about the different things I was hearing about the revenants, but I think I get it now and seems okay to pass for now. Thanks, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally agree about Vincent and Kate, Mimi! :) And the setting - Holly Hell, YES Paris <3 <3 Great review Mimi!! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review, I totally agree with your assessment of the romance - way too heavily based on the instalove, probably one of the major reasons I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would. You summed it up nicely with "Original premise, great characters, and the beautiful Paris setting.." that's my sentiments exactly. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!