Saturday, October 29, 2011

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter

Book: The Demon Trapper's Daughter
Author: Jana Oliver
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 340
Source: KPL
Stars: 3.5/5
Demon Trapper Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself—and that’s exactly what Lucifer is counting on…

It’s the year 2018, and with human society seriously disrupted by the economic upheavals of the previous decade, Lucifer has increased the number of demons in all major cities. Atlanta is no exception. Fortunately, humans are protected by Demon Trappers, who work to keep homes and streets safe from the things that go bump in the night.
Seventeen-year-old Riley, only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father’s footsteps. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing attraction to fellow Trapper apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving citizens from Grade One Hellspawn. Business as usual, really, for a demon-trapping teen. When a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood, she realizes that she’s caught in the middle of a battle between Heaven and Hell.

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:

When a book is called The Demon Trapper's Daughter, you know you're in for one heck of a ride and that's exactly what this novel delivered! It was a roller coaster with its ups and downs and pros and cons, but I still enjoyed reading it a lot! :)

The thing I loved most about this book (besides its super-cool cover, of course!) would be the world. Jana Oliver created such an original world of demons, trappers, hunters, and magic. It was gritty and dark, intense and different, and oh-so fascinating! This setting was one that made you want to lock yourself inside it!

I don't have much to say about the characters other than that I LOVED them. Even with everything going on, Jana Oliver didn't make them perfect or superior at what they did, and that made them so much easier to connect with! I adored Riley through and through, and the rest of the cast was always interesting to read about.

(And I'm totally Team Beck (♥), even though his constant use of "ya" and "yer" was strange at times! Because I honestly think a guy as hot as him should be capable of saying the word "you.")

Overall, The Demon Trapper's Daughter was a first book that left me craving for the next! I'll admit that some parts were pretty hard to get through because the pacing felt really action-packed in some places and slow-dragging in others, but it's still a book worth picking up! 

BUY or BORROW?: This is a great way to start your Demon Trappers collection! It's a book for all lovers of complicated, dark, and intriguing urban fantasies! :)

-Mimi

15 comments:

  1. Okay, def going to get a copy of this one. Absolutley am in love with the cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big UF reader and I've been frustrated by the pacing of books recently, so this doesn't sound like the best book for me at the moment. Still the cover is very eye-catching and it could serve as the start to a really great series so it's definitely something I'll keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED THIS ONE! And the second book too. Awesome review, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I REALLY WANT TO READ THIS BOOK. Ok with that said, I'm really glad it's a good one! I've been wanting to read this series FOREVER, so I'll probably pick it up at my used book store the next time I'm in the area :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh awesome I bought this a few months back but my friend read it, hated it, so I was hesitating but you make it sound really good! I'll give it a try soon.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book looks really good. I read a sample of this on the Kindle and I was like, "Um... Beck, please stop with that jargon..." hehehe.

    I think I will buy it on the Kindle soon though. :) It's pretty cheap right now! Thanks for your lovely review, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this one for awhile, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I should really get to it soon, because it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one on my tbr list. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed it. It sounds really good. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Team Beck too! The second book is much better! The pacing of this one was weird !



    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was very curious about this one, it sounds like a nice read, maybe I will add it to my wishlist ! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally Team Beck too, I wanted to smack Riley a couple times for being so hard on him! I can't wait to see what happens with their relationship in the next book:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really do want to start this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm...I've heard this book is a bit too hopeless, and that's why I've kind of been avoiding it, but your enthusiasm is revving me up to give it a try, but I think I'll still wait for the second one to come out before I decide. :P

    Thanks, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flawed/imperfect characters definitely make a story more interesting, don't they?

    Good review! Sounds like one I'll have to keep an eye out for at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved this so I'm glad you did too! The 2nd one is better IMO

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!