Sunday, July 17, 2011

Review: Nevermore

Book: Nevermore
Author: Kelly Creagh
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: Atheneum
Pages: 543
Source: purchased from Chapters
Stars: 5/5
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
 

His life depends on it. 

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

Oh my gosh! WOW! 

Words will not describe how much I love this book! Nevermore simply blew me away. From the fantastic cast of characters to this beautifully written world to, well, just about everything, Kelly Creagh is definitely an author I'm going to look out for from now on! 

Our blonde heroine Isobel is so much more than I could've hoped for. I adore her! She isn't your stereotypical airhead cheerleader; she's strong and smart and has an incredibly awesome and distinctive voice. She also has a huge heart that only makes me admire her even more.

Then there's Varen. Oh, Varen! If I write a list of things I love about him, I bet that Blogger will create a word limit just to shorten my post. So I'll simply say this: he isn't your typical goth boy either. Like Isobel, there's so much more to him that it literally blows my mind away.

The prose is beautiful and dream-like and slightly nightmarish, mixing perfectly with the darkly original paranormal aspect. There's an entire eerie and compelling world explored, so enthralling that I immediately want to go back. 

To sum up the awesomeness of this book into five words would be impossible. Nevermore has to be one of my favourite reads of all time, and I'll recommend it to anyone without needing to think about it! 

BUY or BORROW?: If my crazy gushing of adoration for this book isn't indication enough, you really need to buy this book!! Go out to the store right now and get yourself a copy right now! :)

-Mimi

3 comments:

  1. I've read this book already but if I hadn't, I think your review would have encouraged me to pick it up posthaste! In the end, I didn't like it as much as you but I agree that the Poe elements were well-incorporated and the language definitely had some nightmarish qualities at time. I am also really looking forward to Enshadowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review Mimi! :D I just borrowed this book from the library, and I cannot wait to get started on it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny Mimi, this is one of the rare books, I really didn't enjoy much. It was so confusing!! I don't know, I guess it was my thing :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!