Sunday, July 10, 2011

Review: Fallen

Book: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Release Date: December 8, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 452
Source: purchased from Chapters
Stars: 3/5
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.
 


(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

Fallen was a thrilling debut that sucked me in and wouldn't let go! The hauntingly gorgeous cover described the dark plot of the book perfectly.

I loved the setting that Lauren Kate created it was dark, dangerous, and completely fitting to the gothic story where angels were split by not-so-clear lines, and attraction was more than just love at first sight. Swords & Cross reformatory school was a place I definitely didn't want to visit... but Lauren Kate's world was!

Luce, our main character, was a girl that I loved at some times and disliked at others. For the sake of a non-spoiler review, I'll just say that falling for an utter jerk can only go so far. I really wish Luce would have been stronger, even if just a little bit, but I guess that leaves room for lots of character growth in the books to come.

All in all, Fallen was a great first novel for a series! Despite a few confusing parts that I had to read over, it was a compelling read with a slowly budding heroine, a wonderful supporting cast of both angels and humans, and two extremely hot guys that were literally opposites.

I'm picking up the next books in the series for sure!  

BUY or BORROW?: I have this book on my shelf, but even if you don't buy it, I think you should make a visit to the library! :)

-Mimi

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this book, especially because it was about a boarding school. I continued the series and it seemed to get better with each release. I can't wait for the next one. How about you? Did you continue on with the series?

    I also totally agree with you on Luce's personality. I don't get why she even fell for Daniel in the first place, he was a total jerk. I was a Cam fan in this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!