Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: Destiny's Fire

Book: Destiny's Fire
Author: Trisha Wolfe
Series: N/A
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
Pages: 224
Source: The Book Depository
Stars: 5/5
It’s the year 2040, and sixteen-year-old Dez Harkly is one of the last of her kind—part of a nearly extinct race of shape-shifters descended from guardians to the Egyptian pharaohs. Her home and her secret are threatened when the Council lowers the barrier, allowing the enemy race to enter the Shythe haven.

As the Narcolym airships approach, Dez and her friends rebel against their Council and secretly train for battle. Not only is Dez wary of war and her growing affection for her best friend Jace, but she fears the change her birthday will bring. When Dez’s newfound power rockets out of control, it’s a Narcolym who could change her fate… if she can trust him.

Dez’s guarded world crumbles when she discovers why the Narcos have really come to Haven Falls, and she's forced to choose between the race who raised her and the enemy she's feared her whole life. 


(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:   

If I love this book any more than I already do, I don't think it would be healthy! Destiny's Fire is one of those books you pick up not expecting much but end up loving unconditionally.  

In Destiny's Fire, Trisha Wolfe creates one of the most unique, complex, and breathtaking stories you'll ever read about. At first the world may seem a little overwhelming, but you quickly get immersed in the thrilling world of the Kythan with their crazy-cool powers. There's also a fun steampunk element, too (with cool gadgets and corsets). I couldn't get enough! 

Dez is my favourite kind of heroine: a strong, bad-ass fighter who cares deeply about those she loves, but not too strong that she's hard to connect with. She has the perfect amount of vulnerability; there isn't a single thing she does that I can't see happening in real life. 

And the romance is PERFECT. Complicated and sensual with the perfect hint of dangerousness, it will turn people who don't like love triangles into people who do! Both Reese and Jace break my heart and make it melt at the same time. The chemistry is off the charts. And you'll fall in love with the amazing secondary cast too! 

Original, action-packed, and absolutely unputdownable, Destiny's Fire is a brilliant novel that I can't recommend enough! I'm crossing my fingers that the author is planning to write a sequel so I can add that to my favourites shelf next to this one. :)  

BUY or BORROW?: If I only had a little bit of money and had to choose between saving it or buying this book, I'd purchase Destiny's Fire in a heartbeat! An absolute MUST-have!!  

-Mimi

30 comments:

  1. Seriously, my TBR always takes a beating when I read one of your reviews Mimi. I am so crazy about shape shutters right now that this is the perfect book for me. I'm glad to see there's a but of an original Egyptian twist as well. I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to develop a thing for steampunk. I haven't actually read very many steampunk-y books, but when I do, I LOVE the world-building. Destiny's Fire definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. It's on my TBR! Awesome review, Mimi! You always make me super excited for new books. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book around . . . sounds awesome. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Mimi I really enjoyed this too. I agree it was a bit much at the start I was like WHAT IS HAPPENING!? But then it got cleared up and I really liked the plot. Steampunk is getting really popular. Glad you enjoyed it too Mimilicious!!

    Oh and PS- Macmillan said they shipped the audiobook the day after I emailed you so you should get it soon if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guardian to the Egyptian pharaohs? And a fun steampunk element, too? I HAVE TO read this book! Thank you for another awesome review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review make me dying to read this book, Mimi! I'm new in steampunk genre, but I think I'd fall in love with this book! It's awesome that the love triangle is perfect! I LOVE kick-ass heroine, especially ones that are relatable! AWESOME review as always, Mimi! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Mimi, this book sounds absolutely amazing! I love what you said about the romance, and I'm always up for a love triangle situation that doesn't make me want to roll my eyes. I think sometimes they can be done really well and it sounds like this is one of those times. I had no intention of picking this book up, but now it absolutely must go on my list. Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Mimi! I can't wait to read this book, Dez seems like a girl I would love! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. MIMI!!!!!! <3333 I'm seriously hearting your review like mad right now because this was one of my fave books ever too! Dez felt like an alternate version of myself, she was that well written. (: And HOLY HELL, I'm in love with Reese! He's the equivalent to all the best book boys, IMO -- hotness personified and insanely sweet!!

    Fan-flipping-TASTIC review, Mimi-Doll!! <333333333 You think if we write a letter to Trisha together that she'll write a sequel? LOL! I can't get over how PERFECT this review is. & I agree about the steampunkishness: corsets and thigh-high boots make the BEST combination! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and Sam are so bad for my poor tbr! I'll never ever catch up. *cries*
    This sounds really interesting, despite my strong dislike of love triangles. I'll definitely give it a shot. :)
    Beautiful review, my lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. You absolutely convinced me!! This book looks incredibly amazing! ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Epic review Mimi! I loved this line: "Complicated and sensual with the perfect hint of dangerousness..." fabulous. I am not a fan of love triangles so I will have to see if this changes my mind. I will definitely be adding this to my review pile on your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh, sure sounds like you like it! I've been a bit hesitant about this since I've seen quite a lot of mixed reviews, but now you've made me SUPER curious. How can anything you love that much not be awesome? o: I'll have to add it to the wishlist, I think! Great review, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you just had to hook me in with a strong, realistic, badass heroine! My favourite flavour! :D AND a 'sensual and dangerous' romance? GEEZ MIMI. So excited to meet Reese and Jace and feel that fiery chemistry between them! And the worldbuilding really fascinates me. I mean... steampunk? Egyptian mythology? shapeshifters? Does it get anymore intriguing than that?! Amazing review, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review Mimi! I just started reading this one and I LOVE it already - can't wait to see what's going to happen! Thank you for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no love triangle LOL but some are good. You made me really excited to read this one now. The story sounds really interesting even though I have no idea still what exactly Steampunk is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It will turn people who don't like love triangles into people who do? Hmm...You're on, Mimi! Lol. :) I AM interested in the world of Destiny's Fire. It sounds very unique! And as much as I complain about love triangles, it seems like I haven't stopped reading books with them yet, so where's the harm in giving another one a try? It doesn't look like they're going to go away any time soon. **Sighs** But still...I'm willing to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dez sounds pretty awesome! I've been a bit on the fence about this one - not sure if I REALLY wanted to read it or not. Yours is a great review because it's got me thinking...maybe I do! Your enthusiasm is always so infectious, Mimi!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  19. 5 stars? Airships? Badass heroine? Steampunk? PERFECT romance? Stop it, you're killing me! This sounds like something that's right up my alley, Mimi--love the review. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was already interested in this one before because I LOVE steampunk and adore that cover, but your review has me wanting to purchase it RIGHT NOW! It sounds absolutely amazing! Definitely going on my WL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd never heard of this book but you make it sound so good with its steampunk aspect and unique plot! I'm definitely someone who does not like love triangles so it would be interesting to see if this book could change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. it's nice to be surprised by a book sometimes, it's always a pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I confess I saw this book several times but didn't look farther. maybe I was wrong about that. I'm glad you enjoyed the story so much, it sounds like a really amazing book. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I'm glad you LOVED this :DD While this wasn't the book for me ( the love triangle sorta put me off :S) but I can totally see why you loved this soo muchhh <33333 YESYES! The world Wolfe has created was just...MAGICAL! It was SO original, and I was immediately sucked into the story!FANTASTIC review, Mimi!:D I feel like re-reading all the heart-pounding actions scenes again & also the sweet moments between Reese & Dez <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. This one sounds amazing. How awesome is the concept of ancestors from the guardians of pharaohs...and shape shifters too! I do love me a good shape shifter story. I can feel your enthusiasm for this one through your review. You have me super curious about this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Me? Love a love-triangle? I'll have you know that I'm taking this on as a personal challenge, Mimi. Yes, you will either rue the day you made that statement, or you will be having a sweet victory dance over my dead body. LOL

    I'm off to purchase this book now because as Barney Stinson would say, "Challenge Accepted"

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you loved it so much! I plan on reading this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  27. sounds awesome. rad review mimi

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is one of your fav's for the year so far in your post. I've seen some 5 star reviews for this and I love a strong heroine. If you say the love triangle works, I'll suspend my prejudice and go with it. Great review Mimi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Destiny's Fire gave me a taste of something new and I'm hooked! I can't wait to read more from Trisha Wolfe and see where she takes these characters next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!