Thursday, February 09, 2012

Review: Cinder + Event Alert for B.C.!

Book: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 390
Source: KPL
Stars: 5/5
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

Anyone can write a re-telling of Cinderella, but only Marissa Meyer can write a fantastic, original, and completely enchanting Cinderella re-telling as amazing as this one!  

To say that I loved this book would be an understatement! Cinder dodged every bullet I worried about when I picked it up. Rather than being a simple Cinderella knock-off, Meyer created a story with lovable characters, a captivating world, and a story line that was a blast to follow from beginning to end.  

For a cyborg and the best mechanic in New Beijing, Cinder surprised me with her spunk, sarcasm, and fun personality that made me adore her from start to finish! Prince Kai was so adorable, just like the sweet and fairytale-esque romance between them. It was perfectly developed and had the right amount of scenes that made your cheeks hurt from smiling.  

Another thing that made Cinder so original and captivating was the world. There are robots, cyborgs, an otherworldly plague with no cure — and there was also a really cool supernatural aspect with the Lunars (moon people), who could basically control minds and make people see things that weren't real.

A mixture of both fairytale and dystopian elements with a supernatural twist, Cinder is a mesmerizing debut that you don't want to miss! This is one of those books that I'd recommend to everybody because I honestly believe that it can be enjoyed by anyone who can read! :)  

BUY or BORROW?: I'm definitely planning on buying myself a copy of this book! If that doesn't say BUY ME like a neon sign, I don't know what would!

-Mimi



Plus:

Marissa Meyer has an upcoming appearance! She only has one event in Canada which is in British Columbia on February 11, 2012  that's this Saturday! It starts at 2:00 p.m. at Chapters Metrotown (Metropolis, Metrotown 4700 Kingsway, Burnaby, B.C.)

I'm highly encouraging anyone who lives in that area to go! Marissa Meyer is an amazing author and the only reason I'm not going to be there is because there are several provinces separating us. I just know that you'll have fun! :) 

Just wanted to let you guys know!

34 comments:

  1. 5 stars?! WOW! I have this book on my bookshelf and I think I'm going to read it this weekend.
    Too bad I don't live in Canada. ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeep I can't wait to read this one. I bought it when it came out I have to make time for it soon it sounds soooo cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A five star review? I guess this book practically scream for me to buy too! Thanks for the awesome review Mimi, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it! Everyone seems to love this book, I have to read this soon or I'm gonna feel as if I'm left behind LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Mimi! I so need to check this one out, it sounds like an amazing adventure - thank you for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I cant wait to get started with this book! Cinderella and dystopian? How intriguing! Great review Mimi <3

    ✿FICBOOKREVIEWS✿

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Prince Kai is super adorable-made me so happy! And then there were the Lunars who were so creepy-they're going to do even more awful stuff in the coming books, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a fun book! I loved how there were recognizable Cinderella elements, but so much of it was new and unique so it really was it's own story. So glad you loved this one too Mimi, I need the second book in my hands immediately:) Awesome review, I always have fun reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to see that you loved this, Mimi! I've seen some mixed reviews which made me a little sad, because I LOVE the concept and am really looking forward to reading it. Your excitement has brought my enthusiasm back, however, and I will have to try to get to it soon. Great review. :)

    P.S. How could anyone not love cyborgs? Besides...the cover is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely review as always, Mimi! I was so excited for this book but it fell a bit flat for me. Overall, I did enjoy it though and I'm excited to see where else the series goes next. I'm always a sucker for fairytales! I think the way Marissa Meyer incorporated the fairytale elements was pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY!!! I'm sooooo glad you loved it too. I need to buy it myself! Come money, comeeee. Seriously, I agree about everything! It was so unique! Best Cinderella re-telling I've come across. It was like a completely different story almost. Can't wait for the sequel and Little Red Riding Hood, I believe it is! :o

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your review makes me want to read this book like yesterday!!! But since I struggle with Sci Fi, I've been debating if I should get the actual book or the audiobook. Hmmm.. I now think either would work since there is a supernatural twist, and that is what I love most. LOL

    Excellent review, Mimi. You have me wishing I lived in BC so I could attend that event. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cinder definitely one of the more original Cinderella re-tellings I have read. Great review, Mimi! I enjoyed this book quite a bit myself and look forward to reading the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this cover!!! Hardcore! But I can't get past the cyborg thing! I just can't! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another Cinder lover which confirms that I need to get my hands on this book soon. I've yet to read a Cinderella re-telling so I think this is the perfect one to start with. I can feel your enthusiasm for this book through your review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this book too, I was a bit disappointed in the ending and I was a little perplexed at the way Cinder backed down to her stepmom at the end it was contrary to her previous behavior. I loved Iko :( hopefully she will be back. I LOVE the cover of this one. I can't wait to see where the series goes from here! I finally got your lovely button on my blog roll ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY! SO happy you loved this, Mimi! My own thoughts completely mirror what you wrote. I honestly don't know what I loved more - the incredible worldbuilding or the endearing characters. Cinder! Kai! IKO!!! <3 Everything she said had me laughing aloud so many times haha.

    But agh, after how it all ended, we have to WAIT?! What is this nonsense?! Patience, I don't like you very much. AWESOME review!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mimi, great review!! I haven't read the book yet :P But after reading this, I think I totally should in the next days :) :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tell the truth, Mimi: is everyone in this world conspiring against me? :D i really really didn't want to read this book, but you people are leaving me no choice! Especially you, missy! after this review, I need to get to it asap.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this one too! It seems like so many think they won't care for it but are totally blown away! I know I was! I went to her signing her (Portland, Oregon) and it was awesome! She's really nice and easy to talk to.
    So excited you loved the book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you, Mimi. This was one of the first re-tellings I read and I worried it would be just a cookie-cutter re-telling of Cinderalla, but it was SO much more. I LOVED Cinder's spirit and ferocity. She was a really refreshing heroine! And I wanted a little more world-building but overall I liked it. It had a funky vibe that reminded me of the show Firefly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. MIMI!!!! <3 I swear you write some of the most deviously amazing reviews sometimes -- they always do such an awesome job at conning money out of my wallet! :P Cinderella has to be my absolute favourite fairytale EVER. And yet for some reason, I'd never really paid attention to this one. Well, that changes now! I just ordered it online!

    Fantabulous review, Mimi-Doll!!! <333333 LOL and you seriously make me wish that I lived in B.C.! If I ever become the owner of a plane in the next 24 hours, I'll be sure to pick you up on my way there, okay? Hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. EEEEEEE! I'm so glad you LOVED this Mimi<3 This is definitely one of the best Cinderella re-tellings I've had the pleasure to read :DDDD The world was certainly orginal and intriguing! I mean, CYBORGS? Seriously, only Marissa Meyer could think of that! And for it to be set in NEW BEIJING!!! OMG PRICNE KAIIIIIII<3333333 I absolutely LOVEED him:DDDD He was ADORABLE! And the chemistry between Cinder and Kai was just..WOW. Hahaa

    WHY CAN'T MARISSA COME TO AUSTRALIA?! HUH?!?!? I'd LOVE to meet her! <33

    Fantastic review Mimi!<3 I agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant review, Mimi! I haven't read this one yet, but I really want to, more so after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really enjoyed this one as well! Cinder was a great retelling, and mostly original plot. I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want to read this book so bad, great review!
    Also, because your blog is simply beautiful, I picked you for an award. Here it is: http://geobobspinelli.blogspot.com/2012/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I usually love straight up re-tellings more but Cinder blew me away too by being so much better than I expected. This one is definitely a book that can be enjoyed by everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cinderella is my all-time favourite fairy tale. I had this book when I was a tot (and I still have it) with beautiful art work and I had every word memorized. This sounds like a fabulous book and I am gonna add it to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aaah! I keep wanting to buy this one but somehow I ALWAYS manage to talk myself out of it. As much as I want to read Cinder, I keep telling myself that I already have quite the to-read pile accumulating in my room as it is. It's so hard to be a responsible girl when I want to spend all my money on books! Lol. Glad you enjoyed this one Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Argh! I am so dying to read this one. It's popping up everywhere I go and I keep hearing great things about it. Cyborg Cinderella? I am so there. I am so jealous of you guys and your author events. I feel like we get nothing down here in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  30. EEEE! MIMI! This sounds AMAZING! I mean, I've heard amazing things... but now, after your review, it sound SERIOUSLY AMAZING :OOO
    You know what Natalie said, above? That's kind of been me, up to this point... I think I need to rectify this immediately *runs off to Book Depository*

    ReplyDelete
  31. A wonderful review Mimi! I really enjoyed this one as well and can't wait for the sequel.

    Sharon @ Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete
  32. I loved this one at the cover. The story was unique and creative too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMG Mimi I just finished this book ad I love your review, as usual. Cinder was so mind-bogglingly amazing!!! <3 Marissa is such a genius and she seems real sweet too!! I loved the romance as well, even though it was a little cliche, but sometimes cliched things are really good. I loved Cinder as well! She had so much spunk and personality. :) Great review, Mimi-doll!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!