Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky

Book: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 384
Source: bookstore
Stars: 4.5/5
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.


(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

Here's the truth: with the huge amount of dystopians coming out right now, I didn't expect to be blown away when I started this book. But this was one of those times when I wish I'd thrown my instincts out the window and read this sooner Under the Never Sky was amazing!

The beginning was a little confusing because this book takes place in a whole new world with Dwellers, Outsiders, Realms, etcetera and some of the terms weren't fully explained in the beginning. But I actually loved that Veroinca Rossi didn't overwhelm us with information at one time! It helped us get sucked into the twisting and fast-paced plot so much easier.

Aria and Perry were both fierce, determined, and extremely layered characters that I loved so much! The romance between them wasn't a love triangle or insta-love or anything else from the cookie cutter. It sprung from a tentative alliance for survival and grew into something so beautiful that my heart ached. The whole cast was incredibly awesome (like Roar)!

And another thing I loved about this book was that there was never a point in the story when I could say, "Oh, I know what's going to happen next!" It continuously surprised me over and over again with its originality and intensity. Plus, the supernatural aspect was so cool!

Dangerous yet beautiful, terrifying yet totally enthralling, Under the Never Sky was probably one of the most original and compelling books I've ever read! It left me mesmerized and wishing I had book 2 immediately. Definitely a book I'd recommend! :)

BUY or BORROW?: I bought this book on a whim and I LOVE having it on my shelf! You won't find another one like it, I promise buy it for sure!

-Mimi

29 comments:

  1. I love it when a book I pick up on a whim turns out to be amazing - it's like waking up on Christmas morning when you're five! SO exciting. :)

    Under the Never Sky sounds like exactly the kind of story I'd enjoy, so I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the fun review, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Mimi! I was really confused at the start of this one and it took me a while to get used to the writing style (I found there were lots of pronouns) but I did like the plot and the romance in it! Glad you enjoyed it so much! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this book as well! Already have it sitting in my shelf so I just need the perfect time to read this, but your review have totally convinced me to move it in the top of my TBR! Awesome review, Mimi!!♥ Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You've definitely convinced me to pick this one up sooner! I have it on my Nook but I might just have to buy myself a keeper copy. I'm glad to know that the characters are awesome!! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this one sounds really interesting. Thanks for the heads up that it was a little confusing to begin with. I'm going to add this one to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved this book as well! Before I read it, I thought it was going to be just okay, but wow...it was so much more :) Great review, Mimi!!!

    Krista - Nawanda Files

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you too? Well, now I have to read this, don't I? Everyone loves it!
    Great review, Mimi. I'm convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOO HOO!!!! I loved this book so much!! I was hesitant to start it for the reasons you mentioend as well, but once I got through the first several chapters I couldn't put the book down. Dangerous yet beautiful is a fabulous way to describe this book, brilliant review Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have preferred more information right away from Rossi but I can see your point about not being overwhelmed. Glad to see you liked this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Mimi! I really enjoyed it, too! I keep thinking I will get bored of the never-ending flow of dystopian releases - but I don't! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that you loved this book, Mimi! One of the best dystopians I read in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG DID IT MAKE YOU CRY?! I bawled my eyes out. I definitely know what you mean about it not being something predictable, I was always like "WTF IS HAPPENING!!!" LOVE THIS ONE! Great review Mimi!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admit to feeling the same about dystopian lately so I'm thrilled to hear that this one breaks the mole. Now I wish I had read it when it was on Netgalley, but having it on my shelve would be great too. And I especially love how you've described Aria and Perry's relationship. I'm always on the look out for the type of romances that bloom out of the unexpected.

    Awesome review, Mimi. Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am exactly like your first sentence! I've also heard mixed things about this so I haven't started it yet but your review makes me want to change my mind. I really liked the point you said about not knowing what happens next because I find YA to be sort of predictable these days. I'm not even one of those people who can guess right off the bat so it's just really disappointing to me. I'd want to buy this book from its cover alone! I love the colours. :3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this one but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have read the first couple chapters online though and really enjoyed it so hopefully I'll be able to get to the book soon and enjoy the whole thing. Awesome review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree! I thought this one was great and definitely stood out from the other dystopians. I was worried I wasn't going to like it, because I didn't like the characters at first, but they grew on me by the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. why do you always read the books I want to read lol, one more time I really need to read this one which sounds awesome. Thank you for your review I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been seeing this book around, but this is the first time I've actually read a review for it. I just started reading dystopians last year and so far am loving them. I can see how they might start following a formula though so I'm happy to hear that this one is original and compelling. I also glad to know that the romance and love between the two characters grows organically. I'm not a huge fan of the love gimmicks in books. This is another dystopian to add to the tbr list. Lovely review Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh yay this makes me soooo happy!! I can't wait to read this now... I have it on my Nook so I'm hoping to get to it soon. I hope I love it as much as you do! And it makes me SO happy that it's not an insta-love or love triangle... As much as those can be fun sometimes (as in the Tiger's Saga or the Matched series - even though I'm totally sold out for one specific guy in both of those cases!) it's nice to have a break.
    Great review Mimi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dude!!! I'm so glad you were confused by the beginning too!!!! I was even a bit put off... I know right? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, SOOO glad you liked it! This was like one of my favorite reads of 2011! I totally agree about the romance - it was so freaking beautiful and realistic!! I thought the world-building was really really good but the start also had me confused for a bit. But I seriously want to see the aether sky in person! Fantastic review :D

    Kim @ The Paper Planes

    ReplyDelete
  22. I...completely failed to mention Roar in my review. I will have to edit it since it doesn't go live for a few more days. I love Roar SO much...definitely more than I should.

    With the beginning, I was thrown too, because Rossi just jumps right into everything, but it all really blew me away, in a good way. And yes, Mimi, like you, I never really knew what was going to come next...and I LOVE that. I was like you - kinda hoping the book was amazing but also thinking "how many more unique dystopians can there be?" Boy, was I wrong!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  23. ROOOOOOOOOOOOAAAARRRRR! Sorry. I just like roaring his name every time I hear it :D EEEEE SO HAPPY YOU LOVED THIS!!! It was one of my favourite reads of 2011. I loved both Aria and Perry as individual characters and as partners, the animosity ----> love was... oh sigh. Beautiful. And wow, her worldbuilding is incredible.

    CAN WE HAVE BOOK TWO NOW PLEASE?!?! Also: Roooooooaaaarrr!! <3 Amazing review :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous review Mimi. I know I will be kicking myself for not reading this sooner. It is in my pile! Ahh another fab review. I love relationships like the one you described. Dystopian is fast becoming my new fav genre. I love the typewriter looking font on your cute little blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol, my review is going up tomorrow and I really liked this one too. It was a little confusing in the beginning, but I agree that it was nice to not have major amounts of info dumped on me. I also really liked Aria and Perry and hope there's lots of Roar in Book 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review! I actually enjoyed this novel despite a few awkward moments that I experienced. It was a very cool debut novel. Can't wait to see what happens in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've been hearing so many good things about this book. With all the dystopian coming out these days it's very difficult to find one that stands out from the mold. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it and will definitely bump it up the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Unpredictability can be a great thing in a book! It helps to keep me turning pages.

    Glad to hear you ended up enjoying this one more than you thought you would! I LOVE it when that happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I ejoyed this book too but not as much as you. I dunno,I felt there was something missing. =T

    Great review my dear!! I love your contagious enthusiasm regardless I liked this book but not that much XDD. Yet, Im still eager to know what happen next!


    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!