Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review: The Night She Disappeared

Book: The Night She Disappeared
Author: April Henry
Series: N/A
Release Date: March 13, 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Pages: 240
Source: Raincoast Books (Thank you so much, RCB!)
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Amazon CA | The Book Depository | Chapters
Stars: 3/5
Gabie drives a Mini Cooper. She also works part time as a delivery girl at Pete’s Pizza. One night, Kayla—another delivery girl—goes missing. To her horror, Gabie learns that the supposed kidnapper had asked if the girl in the Mini Cooper was working that night. Gabie can’t move beyond the fact that Kayla’s fate was really meant for her, and she becomes obsessed with finding Kayla. She teams up with Drew, who also works at Pete’s. Together, they set out to prove that Kayla isn’t dead—and to find her before she is.

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

If you're looking for a fast-paced mystery that's likely to strap you in for the full ride, then this is definitely the book for you! One second I was just starting the book and the next I was almost halfway done, wondering where time had gone and why I was so tense! 

The Nigh She Disappeared starts off after a girl named Kayla is kidnapped one night on a pizza delivery run... when Gabie was the one who is supposed to be taken. No one knows whether or not Kayla is actually alive, who the kidnapper is, or if he's going to come back for the girl in the Mini Cooper. You'll be on the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen! 

One of my favourite things about this book is the creative way that it's told. There are several different perspectives from Gabie to Drew to even the nameless killer himself! as well as autopsy reports, 911 transcripts, newspaper articles, and etcetera between chapters. Those, added to the speedily progressing storyline, make it so easy to get hooked on the mystery! The tension keeps building every chapter until the explosive end.  

Yet maybe it's because this book is so short but I never felt connected to the characters. Gabie had a right to be freaked out in her situation, but some of the things she did still made me wince. And her relationship with Drew didn't have any spark or chemistry; it was just there. Drew himself was fun to read about because he was never that perfect YA male character, which I found really refreshing. As a high school girl, I think the realism was spot on! ;) 

Fast-paced and gripping, The Night She Disappeared is a short yet intense mystery that will give you the chills! It may not be the perfect book, but I'd still recommend that you give it a shot anyways because it's full of twists and entertaining to read! :) 

BUY or BORROW?: I think this was more of a borrow read for me, BUT my friend, who is an even bigger mystery junkie than I am, absolutely adored this one, so it really depends on you! 

-Mimi

26 comments:

  1. I'm a big mystery fan so I really enjoyed this one! I agree that it's refreshing having a male mc that is not perfect, it makes Drew more realistic. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiastic approach to reviewing! This sounds like an exciting read, especially for mystery lovers! Great job on this review.

    PS Thanks for stopping by My Bookshelf and your comment on Gods and Fathers. If you like legal thrillers, you're sure to enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your review Mimi I've been eying this book lately I might try this too! thanks x
    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  4. MIMI-SWEET-VALENTINE! <33333333333 I seriously love how you always manage to word things in a way that makes me want to read a book, even when it didn't blow you away! (: God knows how many mysteries I've read in my time, but this one sounds really intense. Like to a "flashlight in the dark, Ghostbusters style" extent! I want to know who took Kayla and why he's after Gabie and what happens to each of them!! (And I also want to take back my application to Pizza Pizza LOL!)

    Fantabulous review, Mimi-Doll! Blow-you-away-book or not, you still always manage to write reviews that blow me away anyways! (: <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review Mimi! I've been wondering about this one, and as a fan of mystery, I think I just might have to check it out. All your reviews always make me want to read the books right away!

    Thank you so much for sharing! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read many mystery novels, but I would like to explore the genre more. I'm sorry this one wasn't as good as you expected. It's really important for me to feel connected to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good mystery. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh I love me some mystery!! Especially when it's actually pulled off, rather than me guessing the outcome three chapters in. Shame that you didn't feel a deep cnnection with the characters, that's always disappointing even to the most captivating of plots. But I like the sound of Drew! Meh, who wants a perfect YA guy? Flawed is sexy ;D

    Fantastic review, Mimi! I've been hearing some good things about this book, so I'm very likely to check it out some time soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big mystery fan so this book sounds like a lot of fun. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darn it, I just wrote an entire comment and it went poof! Okay, here we go again. :D
    Writing from a killer's perspective is a big gamble as far as I'm concerned. It can be a huge success or it can be downright disastrous. I'm so happy to know that this one worked out.
    On the other hand, it's a damn shame that you didn't connect well with the characters. I am really looking for a fast-paced mystery to make myself feel better after no less than three historical novels in a row. I'm kind of hoping this will work.
    Thank you for the lovely review, my darling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually have trouble connecting with characters in mysteries, I think because so much of my focus is on solving the case that the characters just play second fiddle to the plot. Still, if the mystery is done well enough I usually can overlook my lack of character connection, and now that I know about it going in, I'll be even more prepared. Such a fantastic review Mimi, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm starting this one tonight and very curious to see how I like it. I LOVE mystery/thriller books so I think I'll really enjoy it! I also love a multiple perspective story so I think it'll be great. Lovely review dollface! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. maybe for me/dunno

    don't really know if i should give it a try

    lovly review as always mimi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm liking the sound of this one. I'm real big on msteries and haven't read too many YA mysteries so I think I'd give this one a try. I'm curious to know how the author drives the story forward using different perspectives, especially the kidnappers. Since I'm a big fan of Criminal Minds, I'd love to be in his head if only for a short while, to see what is motivating him to do what he's done.

    And it sounds cool how the author included the 911 tapes and articles and autopsies and such. Theymus do wonders in adding to the mystery and keeping yoyu guessing about the outcome of the book. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am kicking myself for not getting this on NG. I have read some great reviews on this, and you have to admit every once in awhile a good mystery book, fits the bill. The killer's perspective definitely adds creepiness, but I am certainaly glad you didn't connect with the killer...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaaack! I don't know if I could deal with the nameless killer's POV. I've come across that before and it always creeps me out! But yes, the mystery wounds very edge of your seat. I just read a story about kidnapping so I need a break from it for now, but this is one to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm... I'm sadly not much of a fan of mystery (seriously, mystery just stresses me LOL) although I do enjoy it from time to time. Sad to hear you didn't connect with the characters! Sometimes it happens to me, too :(

    I think I might have enjoyed the investigation towards discovering the assassin (eeek! how creepy that you got to read his/her point of view), I think this one wouldn't do it for me.

    Nice review, Mimi! I hope your week is starting off fine ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm hoping this will be my sort of book - I LOVE fast-paced mystery novels that keep me on the edge of my seat. It's a shame it wasn't a brilliant read for you Mimi, but I'm glad to hear you would still recommend it! I am definitely planning to read this soonish, so I hope I;ll enjoy it too. Awesome review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do enjoy a good mystery every now and again. I've had my eye on this one. I definitely feel the creep factor. If a girl was taken and it was supposed to be me I would be really worried! I like the idea of all the extras between chapters and I find it interesting to get in the mind of the killer. I wish the romance was a little better but I guess this is supposed to be more mystery. Also happy you say it seemed pretty realistic. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a great read when you want something quick and entertaining. I'll have to keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review, Mimi! I loved the way it was told too and thought it gave a nice touch to the mystery! I also loved how Drew wasn't the perfect guy. It sucks you couldn't quite connect with the characters though, but I'm so glad you still liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mystery has always been a big draw for me so I'll definitely be moving this baby up on my reading list. Sounds like an intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh-I love when they add in extra bits like 911 transcripts or newspaper articles! That's one of my favorite techniques (right word?) for a book. But since the characters weren't outstanding, I'll probably wait on this one. I want great characters in the books I read!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am a mystery fan and have been very curious about this book. Thanks for your review.
    - FABR Steph

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh. I love that it has many perspectives and extra bits! Sounds like a really good YA mystery! I haven't found a satisfying YA mystery in a while. Hope it satisfies the void. It's great that it's realistic too! As always, fab review, Mimi :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooohhh..I got this from netgalley-actually...I don't know if I can still read it :S It might be archived already...ahh well...what a waste! I really wanted to read this :/)
    Awwwww...It's a pity you didn't quite connect with the characters :( I hate it when there are so many great aspects of the book, yet the main problem arises with the characters - which, by the way, to me, is what really determines whether I like a book or not! Eeeee! But I REALLY fascinated by the mystery, and the autopsy reports <3 I have a feeling I won't understand half of these reports..BUT I'VE ALWAYS loved reading them! Fabulous & well-balanced review, Mimi! I sincerely HOPE I can still read my netgalley copy :S I REALLY WANT TO READ THIS<3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!