Friday, June 03, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy

Book: Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 335
Source: KPL
Stars: 4/5
Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours. 

But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:

Oh, bleep, I loved this book!

Evie was an awesome character to read about! She was smart and snarky, kick-ass and hilariously funny. Not once did I think that she was a weakling who couldn't take care of herself. Sure, she may have had her moments of immaturity but all those little things were easy to understand, considering she'd been living in a containment facility practically all her life.

Paranormalcy, despite the dominant paranormal aspect, was realistic. Kiersten White managed to write this novel in a way that was extremely easy to believe (especially since there was no love-at-first sight drama)... except maybe the fact that the vampires could be taken down with a pink taser.

(Maybe I'm just too used to reading about the glamorized and perfect vamps who can run back and forth across a field before you even blink an eye.)

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed Paranormalcy! It was a nice and flirty read with a very modern voice and characters you couldn't help but adore (like Lish! And Lend!). I can't wait until the sequel, Supernaturally, is released!

BUY or BORROW?: If I wasn't as broke as I am (which sucks), this book would definitely be part of my large collection of books!

-Mimi

2 comments:

  1. I'm about to review this book too :)

    I loved it. The pink taser, the bleeping, and the great plot. *sigh* It's so rare to find a paranormal book like this one.

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, Mimi I have this book on my shelf since November, and still haven't read it :/ Shame on me :/ I will soon!! :) It seems so much fun :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!