Friday, June 15, 2012

My Top Six Books of 2012 (so far)!

Hi, everyone! :)

I know it's not the end of the year yet, but I just wanted to show you my Top Six Books of 2012 so far because I know that it's going to be impossible to choose a bare minimum by the end of the entire year! (Have you noticed how many amazing books have been coming out? I had a hard time narrowing it down, and we're only halfway done!) So here they are:

_____

My Top Six Books of 2012 (so far)
(Click on titles for links to Goodreads.)

1. Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Mini-summary: (fairytale re-telling) Mirabelle Lively runs away from her godmothers' home to her birthplace to discover her secret past. But in Beau Rivage, curses are real and magic is dangerous, and Mira is about to discover that everyone living there is not what they seem...

Why I love it: This is my absolute FAVOURITE book of all time (just like Blue is my favourite book boy of all time)! And I mean that it used always to be so hard for me to choose one, but reading this book made it  easy because it tops everything else. I know that a lot of people have mixed feelings about it, but it's just so creative and beautiful and heartbreaking and brilliant that I can't help but think of it every time I close my eyes. If you haven't read Kill Me Softly yet, please do! :)

2. Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Mini-summary: (werewolf paranormal romance/mystery) Lupine syndrome is on the rise across the country. When Mackenzie's best friend Amy is murdered by a werewolf, a mystery unravels that shows her a side of the story that's more complicated and amazing than Mac ever could've imagined.

Why I love it: Werewolves + mystery + awesome main character + a swoon-tastic romance = one amazing worthy-of-being-on-this-list read! This book was addictive to the Nancy Drew wannabe in me, but it will also appeal to anyone who loves werewolves or at least knows how to admire a heroine who can tell it like it is. And Kathleen's also a Canadian author, which is like the icing on the cake! ;)

3. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Mini-summary: (high fantasy) The once-great nation of Ravka is torn in two by a mysterious Shadow Fold that harbors flesh-eating monsters and an impenetrable darkness. But Alina Starkov might be the key to ending that, if only she can figure out who to trust and what to believe in a world that strives on secrets.

Why I love it: I'm sure you guys have at least heard of this once book before (if not, you can read my 5-star review HERE), and I promise that every bit of praise about it is absolutely true because this is my favourite high fantasy book to date... and it's overall one of the best books of the entire year! The world, the characters, the secrets, the romance... *fans self* So good!

4. Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Mini-summary: (Greek mythology re-telling) Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned to her old life, her family, her friends before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

Why I love it: For one thing, Greek mythology re-tellings are almost always made of awesome and this book is no exception! And for another thing, this book just broke my heart over and over again. Nikki is one of those characters you want to wrap up in a blanket and cry with, and Jack and Cole... *seals heart in an envelope and sends it off to them* Two of my favourite book boys ever!

5. Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Mini-summary: (angel book) Clara Gardner is part angel, part wholly confused teenage girl with a purpose which she as an angel was put on Earth to accomplish she can't understand. But as Clara begins to learn more about a growing battle between White Wings and Dark Wings, she must face the terrifying visions that foresee the death of someone she loves.

Why I love it: I cried like a baby while I read this book. I was a blubbering mess, clinging to tissues, wondering how one author could create a cast and a story so heartbreakingly beautiful that it could affect me that much. It's by far the best angel book I've ever read, and while it may not have been the most fast-paced, it certainly sets up the stage nicely for the final installment in the trilogy! :)

6. Destiny's Fire by Trisha Wolfe

Mini-summary: (paranormal romance/steampunk/totally awesome) It’s the year 2040, and sixteen-year-old Dez Harkly is one of the last of her kind — part of a nearly extinct race of shape-shifters descended from guardians to the Egyptian pharaohs. As the enemies start to invade Haven Falls, Dez's world crumbles when she discovers secrets that will change the way she sees things and the way her friends will see her.  

Why I love it: Gosh, this is just one of those books you don't expect to be anything more than average but end up being SO SO GOOD. This is one of the most original, bad-ass, perfectly fast-paced without skimming over the epic world-building, and completely addicting books I've ever read! I loved Dez as a kick-butt heroine, and I loved the originality and awesomeness of the world. More books should be like this one! Please take notes, other authors ;)

______

And these are 6 of my personal favourites of the year! Each and every single one of them is a book I finished in one sitting, became completely addicted to, and developed that bookish syndrome for where my fingers itch to pick it up again every time I pass it on my bookshelf. In short: They're AMAZING and ADDICTIVE and kind of PERFECT. Buy-worthy? Absolutely!

My list is probably so different from most of yours since I realize I picked a bunch of underdog-ish books, But I recommend them all wholeheartedly! I own a copy of every single one of my shelf, and just talking about them to you makes me want to re-read them all over again.

Since there are still months to go, here are some future releases that I anticipate will be added to my favourites list when I get the chance to read them, or future favourites as I like to call them! :)

(Click on covers for links to Goodreads.)

What are some of YOUR current or future favourites? :)

-Mimi

47 comments:

  1. Sadly out of your top 6 I have only read 1 of them, Hallowed, I loved it though! Well I loved Tucker, Christian not so much. I have the other five books all on my TBR list and am now very much looking forward to them. I always have so many favorites but some so far I have read this year have been Incarnate, Dearly Beloved, The Duff, The Immortal Rules, Catching Jordan, A Million Suns, Graffiti Moon, and Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the others but I loved Kill Me Softly! I'm hoping that if there's sequels she switches the MC, so we get a glimpse into everyone#s head!

    ComaCalm's Corner is giving away Throne of Glass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Hallowed! It is one of my favorites for the year so far too! I really need to get copies of Hemlock and Shadow and Bone this summer of they are on your favorites list! So happy My Life Next Door came out yesterday! I will be picking up a copy of that one soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME choices Mimi! I absolutely adored Shadow and Bone, I couldn't have loved that one any more if I'd tried. Same with Everneath. I was an emotional mess with that one:) I loved Hemlock as well, and I'm dying right along with you to get my hands on Alice in Zombieland, Onyx, and Dark Star. CANNOT WAIT! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of the ones you listed, I've read Kill Me Softly, Hallowed, and Everneath! I really liked most of those! I recently got Hemlock, and I can't wait to read that one, and Shadow & Bone and Destiny's Fire seem AWESOME! :) Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list Mimi! I finished Unearthly last night and I am SO EXCITED to get started on Hallowed! I agree, there's an insane amount of awesome books out this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Shadow and Bone sitting right next to me. Even more excited to read it now! Awesome and surprising choices! I haven't heard of some of them so thanks for the recs. I loved reading the mini summaries and reasons. Have a marvelous weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My current favorite read is Code Name Verity-I know I will be posting about that again before the end of the year because it completely blew me away. I've already pushed it on a couple of my bookish friends and I really hope they pick it up soon!

    I've read 3/6 of your favorites-my favorite of those is Everneath-love the cover, love Jack, love the story, can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for adding so many books to my mental wishlist, Mimi <3 I haven't actually read any of the books you mentioned above so I think I have some catching up to do... I really hope I get to read Everneath ( I wanna meet Jack and Cole hehe >.<), Hemlock and Shadow and Bone soon as they sound utterly FAB! Thanks also for compiling this super list :)

    I really want to read My Life Next Door soon too and I'm eagerly anticipating What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang. I also have a feeling that Divergent will become one of my favourites :D

    Have a great weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Mimi!! I am SO happy that you loved Kill me softly so much! OMG it's one of my favourites this year too!! LOVE this book <3 <3 And Hallowed <3 I think I cried too :') Beautiful, beautiful books! Can't wait to read Losing Lila with you!! :) Ily*

    ReplyDelete
  11. EVERNEATH!! Definitely in my top 6! Shadow and Bone looks BRILLIANT, and I really enjoyed Kill Me Softly! :D Great list, Mimi! I think my list would include: Everneath, Delirium and Pandemonium, Crossed, Austenland, and Peter Nimble. That's 6, and that's just BARELY narrowing it down. I mean, come on! Tempest and Unraveling would totally be included! But oh well, maybe they'll be added into the top 12 of 2012. ;)

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I haven't read Everneath, Hemlock or Destiny's Fire yet! I agree about Hallowed and Shadow of Bone and I liked Kill Me Softly a lot. I would have to say Wonder and Grafitti Moon are for sure on mine along with Hallowed and Shadow and Bone and I would have to go back and look....I can't wait for some of your upcoming picks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe! I'm tempted to do a post myself as there are already a ton of books I have loved so far. I'm so glad to see Shadow & Bone made your list! That will most definitely make my top 10. ;)

    Plus future favourites - I hope Losing Lila is one of mine too! I've already heard it's amazing and can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really want to read Everneath, I've heard so much praise for it. And how beautiful is the cover of Kill Me Softly?

    I am beyond excited for the release of Losing Lila! I'm 90% sure my review will be gushing the whole way through, if it's anything like Hunting Lila.

    Richelle Mead has been recommended to me a few times, I really should give her books a go.

    Great post, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Mim's! I so adore you and this list, because it totally has some of my favorite books on it and now you've inspired me to want to put together a list of my favorite books I've read so far for 2012. Hee! HEMLOCK! What can I say about that book, Kathleen Peacock is such an amazing author and she's super sweet too. I enjoyed being able to giveaway a duplicate ARC that I had of this book to a lucky follower, because I loved it so much. This is something that totally put a whole new spin on werewolves and totally revamped ya paranormal for me!

    And I've heard such amazing things about Leigh Bardugo's, Shadow and Bone, that I can't hardly sit still for wanting to read it so bad. I've FINALLY gotten hold of an e-copy for my Kindle and I am definitely going to be digging into this one for sure. It looks like it's going to be super amazing. Plus, I'm planning on reading Hallowed by Cynthia Hand and Destiny's Fire by Tricia Wolfe as well.

    I have to tell you that I seriously enjoyed this list and you've made me want to go out and buy up the one's that I don't already have either on my shelf or in Kindle format already!!! I look forward to your next post!

    Suz @ A Soul Unsung
    susanhaugland@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list Mimi! I got everneath last week but I haven't actually read any of the books on your list yet! Will be moving them up my wishlist I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blueeeeeeeeeee! Blue was great, but he was the only person I liked in this story.. Sadly, Mira spoiled everything for me :( I loved how she used the fairytales and how dark she made the story (and the twist in the end :o I was shocked!), but Mira was so annoying.. Was there not a point you just wanted to smack that girl? :p

    Hemlock, Shadow and bone, Everneath: still want to read them. They are in my top 10 of to read as soon as possible :p

    I still need to read Unearthly, but I can't wait to get started in Hallowed too ^^

    ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND. THEY ARE TORTURING ME. Why oohh why do I have to wait so long :(? This one looks amaaaahaaazing *sings*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read any of these BUT I really want to read Hemlock and Shadow and Bone! My "future favorites" would probably be...Alice in Zombieland as well, Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh, This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers (I know, I know, it's out but I don't have it yet so THERE lol), Ten by Gretchen McNeill, Flawed by Kate Avelyn, and SO MANY MORE!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've only read Hemlock and Hallowed and I loved both. I have Killing me Softly but haven't cracked it open yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i read 1 and going to read 1 soon
    i loved loved loved everneath and exited for kill me softly
    gr8 post

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh. Why haven't I read any of these? *goes cry in a corner* But I'm really excited to read most of them :) Specially Kill Me Softly, Hemlock and Shadow and Bone! They're books I've had my eyes on since forever, and then I've read some reviews that really convinced me lol

    It's not the end of the year, but I'm loving this post! Now I know what I shouldn't miss, and it's perfect since we're in the middle of the year <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved Everneath too!! Oh Jack!!! There were a lot of people who didn't, so I'm glad to see you did. I'll have to check out your review on GR.

    My favorites for the year so far are: Easy by Tammara Webber, Slammed by Colleen Hoover, The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead, The Vincent Brothers by Abbi Glines, and Hallowed by Cynthia Hand.

    I haven't yet read Shadow and Bone but so many loved it (you and Sam) that I'm sure I will too. Great picks, Mimi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah! I've only read Everneath and Hallowed! Everneath, I unfortunately didn't really like. However, I can definitely agree with Hallowed! Hallowed would probably be in my top six as well! ;D Fabulous list, Mimi! You have me really excited for Shadow and Bone, as well as Kill Me Softly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh jeeze, I haven't read ANY of these! BUT, I'm currently reading Everneath, so does that count?..lol I really want to read ALL of the other ones too though!

    Great list! I've been thinking about compiling one, but it's so hard to pick!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just bought a finished copy of SHADOW AND BONE today. My hands were shaking and I was just so overjoyed. This book really means a lot to me.

    I love your list, Mimi! Of course HEMLOCK would be on mine, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kill Me Softly and Destiny's Fire are the only two I haven't read yet. But great list so far! Shadow & Bone was on mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yikes, I've only read Everneath from this list but I'm hoping to get to Shadow and Bone soon. I know two of my favourite books of the year are Grave Mercy and Wanderlove.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hemlock and Shadow And Bone would go into my favorites list as well. :)
    Your future favorite books look awesome. I hope they do end up on your final list. :)
    Great list, Mimi ! <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice choice, I really really need to read everneath, I have it bit still haven't had the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I never read any book from your top 6 lol, but I've already read Unearthly. I'm just waiting for the 3rd book to be released so I can read books 2 and 3. And oh, Golden Lily! I have a feeling that it's going to be a future favorite too! I'm also looking forward to read Shadow and Bone and Hemlock and My Life Next Door. <3

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am super duper ashamed to admit that I haven't read a single one of your six books! I have all of them on my tbr, but I just... ah, well, you know. I actually have a copy of Shadow and Bone (I preordered it after reading your review), and I think I'll order Destiny's Fire and Hemlock too, since you loved them so much.
    As for the ones you're anticipating, Golden Lily is on it's way already and I have preordered Losing Lila (Alex, duh!). I also want Scorch very very badly.
    Lovely picks, Mimi!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness Mimi I swear you are my soul sister or something! :') I LOVED Hallowed and Killing Me Softly and Everneath, and EVERY other book you mentioned!! OMG Shadow and Bone!! Eeep!! They would all be on my list if I made one!! :) Losing Lila will be fabulous, I can feel it... (and, since, you know, I'm psychic and all it's probably true) :P Awesometastic post, Mimi!! I LOVE your enthusiasm and cuteness and how sweet you are!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mimi, you are going to LOVE Onyx! Also, I just read My Life Next Door and liked it a lot! I haven't read Hemlock and Destiny's Fire from your list but I guess I better get to it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVEDDD Hemlock! I am definitely going to get a copy of kill m softly!
    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  35. Six?! I would have cheated and went 6 favourites and 20runner-ups haha. I could not possibly choose!! You're a braver woman than I, Mimi Valentine.

    Whoa, whoa... wait. Not only is Kill Me Softly a favourite of 2012, but THE favourite of ALL-TIME?! OMG. If I was ever doubting this (which I wasn't) you've just CEMENTED my need to read it. I'm going to read Hemlock soon! I got it this week so... hopefully I can squeeze it into the TBR. I haven't read a good werewolf novel in ages :D

    I am DYING to read Shadow and Bone! All you folks with your crazy, drool-worthy reviews have me... well, doing exactly that. DROOLING.

    I loved Everneath and Hallowed!! JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!! <3

    And YES YES YES. LOSING LILA. ONYX. ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND. GIMME GIMME GIMME!

    ReplyDelete
  36. YESSSSSSSSSSSS TO EVERYNEATH<3 I'm DYING to read Kill Me Softly, Shadow and Bone and HEMLOCK!!!

    LOL You know, when I read "TOP SIX" books of 2012; I immediately thought "WHY SIX?!!" then answered my own question by thinking of TRIS from Divergent! I don't know if you've read Divergent or not, but ANYWAY. MOving on :)

    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Mine would have to be : (current) Everneath / Unravelling / The Immortal Rules andddddd future: LOSING LILA! DEITY! THE GOLDEN LILY! And POSSIBLY HEMLOCK (since I received it this week<3)

    AWESOMEEEE list Mimi!!! I can't wait for your FULL 2012 FAVOURITES list at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What's Going down i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & help different customers like its helped me. Good job.
    Also visit my web site watch movies online

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've only read one book from your 6 favourites of the year so far Hallowed! I really need to change this asap! I know that I can completely trust your reviews so I'm sure I will love the others as much as you did too! There are so many amazing books coming out this year, I tried to make a top ten summer tbr post the other day and gosh it was so hard just sticking to 10 books! I can't wait for My Life Next Door, Something Like Normal, Such a Rush and of course Losing Lila! (I already have my copy pre-ordered! but not the kindle version so I will probably have to wait a few days! :( ) Can't wait until we get out copies then we can gush over Alex together! <3

    ReplyDelete
  39. I can't wait to start reading all the books in your list, Mimi! They might be underdogs, but don't worry sweetheart - sometimes I also have tendency to fall in love with books people have no idea about LOL! <3 I already have The Golden Lily and My Life Next Door waiting, so better not make them wait for too long! xD I need to read Hemlock and Shadow and Bone too! Last I heard, Shadow and Bone makes New York Times Bestseller list - more reasons why I should read it ASAP! <3

    Fabulous post, Mimi! Can't wait to read your gushing reviews of books you can't wait! <3

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great post, Mimi! I've read two books from your list, Everneath and Hallowed and really enjoyed them too. I'm looking forward for Hemlock (even though I'm not really into werewolf books but I'm pretty excited to try that one) and Shadow and Bone! Onyx, Losing Lila and My Life Next Door will definitely be on my future favorites too! I so can't wait for them!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  41. Everneath is a Greek myth retelling? How did I not know that :O If you loved it, then I MUST read it. I love Greek myth!

    And I still need to read Unearthly, too. So many books, so little time xD

    Oh, I am reading The Golden Lily right now and it is so divine. I know that this series will be a future fave. I loved VA, but I am loving Bloodlines even more (Sydney and Adrian are epic LOL) <3

    Dying to read my Life Next Door as well!

    Awesome post, Mimi :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mimi! I'm yet to read any of your favorite books of 2012. Ack! I own Kill Me Softly and it sounds ah-mazing. And I've been wanting to read Everneath since it came out. It looks like Shadow and Bone is a must read, though I wasn't so keen on it in the beginning. The cover didnt look very exciting and I can't help judge a book by its cover. Awesome list, Mimi <3 The Golden Lily is at the top of my TBR. Adriaan!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Everneath & Destiny's Fire = LOVE! I'm so happy to see someone else love Destiny's Fire too. It really was a great surprise how good it was. I haven't read the other ones, but totally agree with you on the ones I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Aww, I have yet to read most of them, but Hemlock and Everneath I TOTALLY agree with you about! So freaking awesome books. Lovelovelove it! I can't wait for September/October now. There's SO much awesomeness coming out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm reading Everneath right now! And Shadow and Bone is one I am definitely waiting on. Good idea to do a top list now before they get too out of hand!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ha! Love your future favorites list. Poor books. I see them quaking in their covers, hoping not to let you down.

    And I can't believe I haven't read a single book on your current favorites list. I'm so full of fail, Mimi. Hope we can still be friends despite the fact that I'm president of the Losers Club.

    ReplyDelete
  47. WHAT?!?!?!? How could Of Poseidon have not made your list?!?!? That is like my all time favourite read of the year lol!!!! I can't believe I haven't read any of those 6 books! I have an audio book of Kill Me Softly but I still have to finish my audio book of Rapture and Insurgent before I can start it but considering you loved it so much I definitely want to read it sooner!!!!! I think I might make a post like this in the future to keep track of my favourite reads too! Have you read the CoLS yet?!?!? I haven't read it yet but I think that will definitely be a good one that just might make it on the list. I didn't love Unearthly so I wasn't too anxious to read Hallowed but I think I will have to give it a try! Great list :-) I will definitely be reading some of these this summer!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!