Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #6
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: publisher (Thank you so much!!!!)
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Amazon CA | The Book Depository | Chapters
I died on a Thursday — killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul.MY THOUGHTS:
The good news? He didn't get it.
The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...
Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.
But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....
(summary taken from Goodreads)
5 Ways You Can Tell You're Reading a Soul Screamers Book:
- It's about bean sidhes (pronounced banshees). I mean, what other series can use girls screaming for death in the most amazing way possible? Not one that I know!
- You want to scream, and cry, and hug the book AND Rachel Vincent for writing it! Reading this series is like going on a never-ending emotional roller coaster — and I mean that in the BEST possible way!
- The author isn't afraid to put her characters through hell and back. I'm absolutely serious! These characters go through SO MUCH that I wonder how they could possibly still be sane... and I also wonder if Rachel Vincent may be an evil genius!
- You never, ever, EVER expect what's going to happen next. Maybe the first few books, you could guess a bit. But by this time around, there are so many twists and turns and surprises that break my heart, and I can never guess a single one!
- TOD HUDSON. ♥ Hilarious reaper, snarky bad boy, totally adorable, and probably one of my favourite book boys of all time. Need I say more?? :')
I think it's safe to say that the Soul Screamers series is one of my all-time favourites, and I don't think there's anything Rachel Vincent could do to change that!
In the previous book, Kaylee died. But now she's brought back to life and given immortality at age sixteen — not as a reaper like her undead boyfriend and snarky sweetheart Tod, but as a collector who's job is to reclaim stolen souls from hellions and rogue reapers.
I admire/love/look-up-to Kaylee more than you could imagine! She's selfless, caring, and has a huge hero complex, but she's also snarky, strong, and badass when she needs to be. And Rachel Vincent doesn't just say it — she shows it through countless obstacles and situations. Especially in this book, where Kaylee has to cope with death, her strength just shines.
And it's not just Kaylee who's amazing. There's Tod (OMG, he's the main reason why I love snarky boys ♥), and the rest of the cast is honest-to-God perfection too! Then there's the story, which also blows my mind, and I've always loved the Soul Screamers world. Bean sidhes, reapers, hellions, necromancers, and more!
Each book just gets better and better! You can never expect what's going to happen next and your heart always ends up crumpled by the end of the book. But the heartache is SO worth it. This series makes me want to be a better person, just because Kaylee's actions inspire me. (I mean, she still goes to school even though she's undead, just to protect her friends and classmates. Who else can say they would do that??)
AMAZING is an understatement and ORIGINAL just isn't a strong enough word to describe this. Before I Wake was an amazing installment to a series that doesn't know the meaning of predictable. An absolute and definite recommendation!