Monday, December 19, 2011

Review: Pretty Crooked

Book: Pretty Crooked
Author: Elisa Ludwig
Release Date: March 13, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 358
Source: publisher (Thanks so much, HT!!)
Stars: 5/5
Willa’s secret plan seems all too simple: take from the rich kids at Valley Prep and give to the poor ones.

Yet Willa’s turn as Robin Hood at her ultra-exclusive high school is anything but. Bilking her “friends”—known to everyone as the Glitterati—without them suspecting a thing is far from easy. Learning how to pick pockets and break into lockers is as difficult as she’d thought it’d be. Delivering care packages to the scholarship girls, who are ostracized just for being from the “wrong” side of town, is way more fun than she’d expected.

The complication Willa didn’t expect, though, is Aidan Murphy, Valley Prep’s most notorious (and gorgeous) ace-degenerate. His mere existence is distracting Willa from what matters most to her: evening the social playing field between the haves and have-nots. There’s no time for crushes and flirting with boys, especially conceited and obnoxious trust-funders like Aidan.

But when the cops start investigating the string of thefts at Valley Prep and the Glitterati begin to seek revenge, could Aidan wind up being the person that Willa trusts most?


(summary taken from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS:  

I LOVED THIS BOOK. I can't even begin to explain how much! I thought it'd just be a cute novel that would keep me highly entertained and it was, but it was also so much more. Pretty Crooked was book that I could gush about for weeks and still have things to say! 

Robin Hood had always been one of my favourite stories, and Pretty Crooked only increased my love for it! This was more than just a modern re-telling of a classic. Elisa Ludwig created an extremely fun story that had lovable characters, a well-written voice, and the perfect REALNESS factor that made everything more believable and enjoyable. 

I adored Willa! Fifteen, bubbly, sweet, and witty, she was a character I connected with instantly and found myself rooting for with everything she did. And I expected Aiden to be just another cookie-cutter bad boy, but he was actually such a sweet, funny, and layered guy!  

Plus, I loved Willa's relationship with their mom and her friends too. A lot of books nowadays focus only on the main characters and their romance, so it was refreshing to read about a full cast of amazing characters. I loved every single one!

Hilarious, heartwarming, and 100% entertaining, Pretty Crooked has earned its place high on my favourites list! I loved everything about it. If you haven't added this to your TBR pile yet, then I highly recommend that you do because Elisa Ludwig is an author worth waiting for!  

BUY or BORROW?: Oh my gosh, buy this book for sure!! I really want to buy two copies for myself when it comes out: one to look gorgeous on my shelf, and another to carry around in my purse so I can re-read it everywhere! x) It was that amazing!

-Mimi 

18 comments:

  1. Fifteen, bubbly, sweet, and witty -- you might as well be describing yourself!!! ;) LOL Mimi, can you believe I've never heard of this book before? I feel a little ashamed as a fellow Robin Hood lover! Just from the way you described it and how much you loved it, I'm tempted to bug HT to release it early so I can read it too!! ;P

    SUPER-FANTASTIC REVIEW, MIMI!! Pretty Crooked sounds freaking AH-MAZING! <333333 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review. I can't wait to read this. Sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review Mimi I look forward to reading this one soon. I really enjoyed her June of Rock book so I was pretty sure this was going to be great too!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review hun! :) I know right? It was really good and now we can look forward to the sequel together!

    I really liked Aiden too - I didn't think I would but I did after all. I didn't really like Willa's mum to be honest, but it was a great story so it doesn't matter, haha :)

    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I think this book sounds super cute and it's make it better that you LOVED it. :D Hilarious, heartwarming, and 100% entertaining?! I don't know what else I can want from a book! Great review, Mimi, it makes me really want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you enjoyed this one Mimi! Robin Hood is one of my favorite stories too, so I always like reading variations of it:) Have you read Scarlet? It's on NetGalley now and I really loved that Will Scarlet was a girl in that one:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to read this book for quite some time now and gosh what an amazing cover! Willa and Aiden sound like my kind of characters! Now I'm not toooo big on Robin Hood but helllloooo who wouldn't want to read a book with a concept like that?!?! Great...another book to add to my always growing TBR list. Fabulous review (as usual)! I haven't even read the book but your review has me busting with excitement! So I guess I'll have buy a purse large enough to hold the book first and THEN buy the book considering it is worth taking everywhere!

    BTW Sorry I haven't been around! Been sooooo busy with school :( Can't wait for Christmas...I'll be stopping by EVERY DAY those days and you will totally get fed up of me lol ;)


    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit
    International 300 Follower Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just dying to read this book-it looks like so much fun and as you've confirmed, is more layered and complex than someone might first think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it sounds like an interesting book. I didn't know about this one. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one looks like such a fun read so I'm glad it lived up to it. It doesn't hurt that the characters are well-developed because even though Willa is trying to do some good, she is stealing. Looking forward to reading this one next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dear!! I dont have this book in my to-read list but now Im so adding it to my WISHLIST! Amazing review!! holy cow! thanks you for your review! It would be very refreshing for me to read a whole cast of amazing characters. You are so right that most books (at least the ones I read) focus too much in one central character. I so want this book asap!!

    have a great day my dear ^.^ muah!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had NO idea this one was a Robin Hood retelling! That's so cool, because that's such a good story and one of my favourites as well! I like that this one looks like a quirky book, and I really like how you described the characters because those are the types I tend to enjoy!

    Great review, your enthusiasm for this one is completely contagious! :)

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin Hood is one of my favourite heroes too! I love the sound of this one. Sort of a Gossip Girl cross Robin Hood story. Plus I'm always up for a book where the heroine's parents are actually still around and she has a good relationship with them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know this was penned as a retelling of RH! How cool is that?

    I bet I'd love this book too, something about it reminds me of Heist Society, which I absolutely LOVED! Willa seems like the type of girl I'd like to hang out with.

    So glad you got more than what you expected with this one. That is always such a treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I Mimi,
    I just want to say that I really love your blog so I want to give you the Liebster Blog Award. If you want to check it out follow this link: http://emilyscrammedbookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/12/liebster-blog-award.html

    ~Emily (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yayyy! I'm so glad you liked it so much \o/ I cannot wait to read it, it sounds soooo awesome. And you make me even more excited! o: Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need to get this book ASAP when it;s out! The cover's gorgeous! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. chinese medicine for fatty liver chinese medicine for fatty liver chinese
    medicine for fatty liver

    Take a look at my website; what not to eat if you have a fatty liver

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your thoughts! I love hearing what you have to say, and I always try to comment on one of your blog posts in return! :)

It's really nice to meet you!